Baitcaster Reels

donjuarez

Hi All,

I've only ever used spinning reels, and thought i'd try something different.

Bought a baitcaster recently that keeps tangling just about every time I cast. :(

If I tighten it too much, then I get no distance, loosen it a little and get tangled!

It seems that the sppol spins quicker than the reel can let the line out?

Are bait casters even designed for casting? or are they more for live baiting, or simply dropping weighted baits off the side of the boat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

AJ

Hi All,

I've only ever used spinning reels, and thought i'd try something different.

Bought a baitcaster recently that keeps tangling just about every time I cast. :(

If I tighten it too much, then I get no distance, loosen it a little and get tangled!

It seems that the sppol spins quicker than the reel can let the line out?

Are bait casters even designed for casting? or are they more for live baiting, or simply dropping weighted baits off the side of the boat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

AJ

Baitcasters are made for casting. The thing is to get the cast control and magnetic brake just right. Best thing to do is get some cheap mono and practice with that as braid is expensive. Also baitcasters are not the best for casting light weights i.e bream lures, and don't be afraid to use your thumb when casting especially as the lure withs the water.

Baitcasters are made for casting. The thing is to get the cast control and magnetic brake just right. Best thing to do is get some cheap mono and practice with that as braid is expensive. Also baitcasters are not the best for casting light weights i.e bream lures, and don't be afraid to use your thumb when casting especially as the lure withs the water.

Thanks Mate, have tried adjusting the cast control and magnetic brake, but find that the slightest touch makes a difference, and can;t seem to find middle ground... might just be my technique, and need to try, as you suggested, using my thumb...

G'day throw me a fish

Take yourself of to a beach or a rugby field.

Take several weights with you.

Attach weight and hold up rod with about 1 meter of line from the tip of the rod to the weight

Give the rod a short sharp shake the weight should fall to the ground and the drum / spool should stop turning on the reel as the weight hits the ground

Play with the drag settings to achieve this tension

Now cast a bit not too hard at first

You will need to learn to control the drum with your thumb

This part will take time

When you get good you can cast a long way with this method

Hope this helps a bit

cheers

inhlanzi

G'day Throw...

Baitcasters are designed for casting... they're in their element where casting accuracy is paramount like snag bashing. (you can use your thumb to stop a cast exactly where you want it once you get good)

The only cure for overruns is an 'educated' thumb which only comes as Inhlanzi said... with practice. When you're proficient you'll rarely get an overrun but it still happens occasionally to even the best casters.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day throw me a fish

Take yourself of to a beach or a rugby field.

Take several weights with you.

Attach weight and hold up rod with about 1 meter of line from the tip of the rod to the weight

Give the rod a short sharp shake the weight should fall to the ground and the drum / spool should stop turning on the reel as the weight hits the ground

Play with the drag settings to achieve this tension

Now cast a bit not too hard at first

You will need to learn to control the drum with your thumb

This part will take time

When you get good you can cast a long way with this method

Hope this helps a bit

cheers

inhlanzi

Hi inhlanzi,

Sure does, sounds logical to me...

It seems like my assumption of, "should be the same as a spining reel" was way off the money...

Thanks once again!

AJ