Murray Cod On The Namoi

Brian

G'day raiders,

I cant bear to see all of these great reports anymore so I dragged myself 80ks into the wilderness :1prop: and caught myself a couple of neat little Murray Cod. Met a bloke the other day who has a property east of Manilla, NSW on the Namoi river. Owns about 8ks of this great freshwater river. You cant put a price on country like this, just beautiful. The real shame is is that it is poached very heavily and a lot of the cod are taken. Anyway he's given me permission to fish it on a catch and release agreement and to let him know when I'm coming. That's all the people in the area really want so it's dissapointing that people have to sneek about and spoil it. :1badmood:

Sound like the Social was a blast and what a great looking day weather wise.

I got this fish on a black and purple spinner bait. He was about 60cm. I didn't lift him out.

I got a second one almost exactly the same and had another big hit out of this fishy looking snag.

How'd you like this running past your back door.

Nice cod Brian. Is that a Twin Spin or a Tandem Spinnerbait? That color scheme is proving to be very success full on the cod and yellas in Victoria. I have put a few aside for the Cod Classic in december!

That's nice looking water mate. Look forward to reading about more captures from the Namoi soon!

Hodgey

Wow it's beautiful there. There's little to top a quiet session on a country river spinning for little gems like those one'syou got. I love spinning for trout in the snowies when ever I can, it's just magic!

Well done on the cod, I'll have a go on them one day.

Nice cod Brian. Is that a Twin Spin or a Tandem Spinnerbait? That color scheme is proving to be very success full on the cod and yellas in Victoria. I have put a few aside for the Cod Classic in december!

That's nice looking water mate. Look forward to reading about more captures from the Namoi soon!

Hodgey

Hi Hodgey

Not sure which is which but, I have two, both in the same colour. One has an arm with the jig head/hook and two other arms each with a gold blade. The other has one arm with the jig head/hook and another single arm with twin baldes. I have had most success with the last one, but not really given the other a work out.

Here is another fish my mate got last year. I posted this picture before, it's a gem of a fish. These one are common enough in some areas but you have to work for them. It was taken on the sigle arm same colour.

Cheers.

Brian

Edited by Brian

Hi Brian

I was out your way the other week or so for a family celebration!! Travelled along the Namoi for a while! Was looking at it with interest, but as it was a family 'do' wasn't allowed to bring along the fishing gear!!!

Some years ago my brother & I were visiting the rellies out Maules Creek Rd, Narrabri way & Sails caught a cod which we tried to revive by way of 'arti-fishy-respiration' in a rain water pond - we swam it for ages but fear it was brain damaged when we released it ..... I fear it didn't survive!

Well done!!! Black & purple is always a top colour choice ...... good to see there is decent water levels there!!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Brian, it brings back memory's of my first murray cod i caught just below the weir at Manilla back in the late 60's, i also caught my first fresh water cat fish there, it gave me a great fight. That's great looking country up that way. Good looking cod,enjoy. Go the spinner baits.

Geoff.

Hi Brian, it brings back memory's of my first murray cod i caught just below the weir at Manilla back in the late 60's, i also caught my first fresh water cat fish there, it gave me a great fight. That's great looking country up that way. Good looking cod,enjoy. Go the spinner baits.

Geoff.

Cheers Geoff.

It is great country. I alway call it "Yowie" counrty, others say it's goat country but the Yowies eat all the goats. It's so good to see a steady strong flow right through now. "La Nina" baby keep her comin.

Hey Geoff, I had family living on the Kaputar road until 5 years ago - now over Maules Creek Rd!!! I visited there out of nostalgia the other week and had forgotten how far out Kaputar actually was!!! They were quite near it! Nice part of the world, actually thought of buying out there when they sold, but the call of the sea ......

Roberta

Hi brian, it's great to see decent rain again, it's raining right now ,love the sound. I also did a lot of rabbit shooting in the late 60's on a property out towards mount kaputa.

Geoff.

Which side did you come up from because I'm at Barraba and that is one of my other haunts.

Brian

Edited by Brian

Hi Brian, we went in from baraba, there was a property out towards mount kapatu called travellin, not sure of the spelling. We camped beside the road near the creek on the property on the baraba side of travellin. with the farmers permission. We would roam the hillsides for hours, very steep hills, but i loved it.

geoff.

Hi Roberta, how's that fish measure going, hope it's had plenty of use. The call of the sea couldn't be any better than your backyard, good to hear from you. See you again one day.

Geoff.