Rod Options- Heavy Sp Rod 10-15kg Under $200

my03

hey guys im looking for a sp rod over 7ft in length 10-15kg line class for heavier plastic work, so far only these have come to mind but wondering if i could get your opinion on these and if you have any more oprtions to throw in there

- rapala braid concept 8-15kg or 10-20kg

- penn sports 7ft 10-15

- phfluger contender

- strudwick sick stick bluewater 10-15kg

- ugly stick bluewater 7'6" 8-15kg

i want a rod with a bit of balls mainly for kings will be fishing 30-40lb braid.

cheers

hey mate.... i was in the same situation as yours....

I want something to chuck heavy plastics on reefs / rivers targetting

schooling macks, Jews, kingys,big snapper

I ended up getting the nitro magnum butt distance spin 7'6 its rated to 4-6kg but imho 4-8kg...

This thing will cast a unweighted sluggo a mile....

I fish it with 20lb braid.... witha daiwa luvias 3000....

... if thats a bit light for you... have a look at the nitro viper.... its rated 6-8kg but has plenty of flick....

btw the raplala braid concept 10-20kg is also a nice stick but its pretty stiff to chuck plastics around....

Goodluck.

I have the struddie 10kg stick.

Its a great rod for very very heavy plastics work, however dont think you will be chucking unweighted sluggos with it. It needs at LEAST a 3/8 jig head before it starts to do any casting whatsoever. 1 oz is in the comfort zone. I fish it with 30lb braid and a tierra 4000. It'll throw a 50gm popper a mile, but thats near 2oz casting weight!

I havent used the ugly stick, but i'm sure it'd be a typical graphite butt solid glass tip style. It will work, but its not ideal for plastics. More of a bait rod.

I haven't tried those particular Rapala rods, though i use a Rapala BC jig stick, and they are a hell of a lot of rod for the money. Be aware that the line ratings on them generally apply to braid more than they apply to monofilament.

I'd try a Shimano Snapper Raider or a King Mack.

I fish a snapper raider for the sort of work you describe.

MY03, those texaliums are excellent bait-fishing rods. If only they didn't feel like they were made of lead..... :1prop:

You would have some trouble finding a blank that weighs more than the good old Texie. Much too heavy for plastic fishing IMHO.

I've yet to see a half decent factory 10-15kg plastics rod for $200. The only rod i've felt that comes close is the Loomis Pro Blue range. These are relatively cheap for what they are, reasonably light but seriously gutsy. A damn good versatile brute stick. Unfortunately you will need to come up with an extra $100 or so :(

Have you had a play with one?

Good luck

Red

• 3 weeks later...

MY03, those texaliums are excellent bait-fishing rods. If only they didn't feel like they were made of lead..... :1prop:

You would have some trouble finding a blank that weighs more than the good old Texie. Much too heavy for plastic fishing IMHO.

I've yet to see a half decent factory 10-15kg plastics rod for $200. The only rod i've felt that comes close is the Loomis Pro Blue range. These are relatively cheap for what they are, reasonably light but seriously gutsy. A damn good versatile brute stick. Unfortunately you will need to come up with an extra $100 or so :(

Have you had a play with one?

Good luck

Red

hey guys thanks for all the replies, basically my only concern is the rod's ability to cast a rang of lighter and heavier lures, whats your opinion on what would do the job best? has anyone tried the phluger contender 7'6 8-12kg?

i will also look into the snapper raider, the king mack might be a bit too much for my budget.

cheers

hey guys thanks for all the replies, basically my only concern is the rod's ability to cast a rang of lighter and heavier lures, whats your opinion on what would do the job best? has anyone tried the phluger contender 7'6 8-12kg?

i will also look into the snapper raider, the king mack might be a bit too much for my budget.

cheers

Try the daiwa saltwater series. Took one up north, awesome rod