Sydney Harbour 27/02/08

spirit_fall88

Got there and it was pouring, caught a small yakka in 10 mins and livebaited it for another 5 min before call it quits, first session lasted 30mins lol. Quickly packed up and stayed in the car for another 15 mins. Until the sky cleared and it fully stopped raining.

Started fishing again burleyed up and got myself a nice big yakka of 30.5cm then caught another at 31cm my PB for yellowtails! w00o0o0

Then i went to check my bottom bouncing rod loaded up with whole prawn. Sammy told me that the rod was stuck or something, so i went to check i turned the drag to max and i tried pulling thought it was a snag but it was actually something very heavy. i had to pump and wind with my 10kg rod for a while, with 30lb braid i was thinking it could handle it then it took a bit of drag!! wow i knew this was something like a big flattie cuz my drag was on max. Then wen it got to the surface i saw tentacles and i thought GIant squid! but no, it was a big octopus instead! my biggest one. LAnded it and kept it for bait.

After that commotion i went back to going for yakkas or Whatever thats down there, using my 10lb vanish and light tackle. something pulled! very strong and snipped my line straight away. I was thinking it might be a surgeon! LOL but then I dont think they come out at night. I went back again with my 10kg rod with 30lb braid and locked drag and 25lb Penn 10X trace. I finally got it hooked up but know it wasnt a surgeon it swam around and took a bit of drag, then i quickly lifted it up and it was a tailor measured 32cm! i havnt caught a legal tailor in a while at that spot. While lifting the tailor out onto the floor it bit my trace off! luckily it wasnt over the water. Wow they have sharp teeth.

Yep so it was a nice day back to fishing other than the thunderstorm we had to endure for like 30mins.

think i caught all this cuz it was straight after rain. This guy there was telling me the fish goes crazy during the rain, but i didnt wanna risk getting wet LOL.

Caught:

2x big yakkas (30.5, 31cm)

1x tailor (32cm)

1x big octapus

image415av5.jpg

image411im1.jpg

image409kf5.jpg

Nice bit of bait there for next time. I find that quite often you'll pick up tailor when trying for yakkas/slimies.

Gonna try eating any of the occy? Any1 know what they are like compared to squid?

Josh

Great fishing mate!

Were you landbased or boatbased?

Dan

I was landbased

Nice bit of bait there for next time. I find that quite often you'll pick up tailor when trying for yakkas/slimies.

Gonna try eating any of the occy? Any1 know what they are like compared to squid?

Josh

Yeh just this morning i was just gonna bring it out to fishing and was waiting for it to defrost but was in a hurry and forgot about the octapus. Then came home mum had already cooked it with these bread crumbs LOL they tasted alright but since the tentacles are thicker they arent as chewable, its needs to be smashed by somethign to soften it up. Taste pretty much the same as squid. Thats why i thought it would be good for bait for kingie