Thoughts On Hook Size

slinkymalinky

I suppose to be honest I'm not really expecting consensus... probably a 'vigorous debate'... but I can hope.

I wanted to get everyones opinions on deciding on hook size (I'm always looking to hone my skills/results).

My approach to choosing hook size for any application is not based (much) on the fish species.... it's based on the bait size, tackle in use (which themselves are related to target species of course).

I've noticed I fish often with much smaller hooks for kings than many other people because while I always like to use the biggest hook practical for any circumstance, "practical" takes into account the fact I often use small livebaits. BrettP knows the tiny yakkas we use and I'm convinced that they stay healthy longer with relatively small/fine hooks.

My preferred double hook rig for downrigging consists of an Owner Aki 2/0 or 4/0 lead hook with a Mustad Big Gun or Black Magic KS 1/0 or 2/0 stinger (I don't use trebles more because I keep my rigs ready tied and the trebles don't store in my leader wallet).

I have no problems at all with hook-up rate and at time's I've used really tiny hoodlums or similar as stingers and they hold big fish just fine. I've not pulled the hooks on a single king in the last 2 years (although I've been busted off as much as anyone).

Even with dead baits I like to choose hooks that allow the bait to be presented as naturally as possible with good barb clearance.

What's everyone's theories?

Slinky

Not much of an expert here, but I have noticed recently when live baiting for kings I was using 6/0 hoodlums and my mate who had finer and smaller hooks on was getting more action with rigs that were otherwise very similar. So since I have switched to 4/0 Mustad big guns and I have certainly noticed happier and longer living livies..I'm assuming because of a thinner gauge, and my theory is that the fish will be less reluctant to strike if they see less metal. I should also mention that i have started to prefer the practice of hooking the livies through the back of the neck as aposed to the nose (because I loose alot) or further back, since i read that kings prefer to swallow yakkas head first. So this may also influence things.

i have a few thoughts on hook size.....

First and foremost, the hooks must be fresh and sharp, if they are chem. sharpened hooks and they are rusty or blunt then throw them out... if they are stainless, or gal. hooks then get out your file and sharpen them...

My theory on hook size and style is that its dependant on the bait you are using and the fish you are targetting. If i am live baiting, i will use a hook, usually a light gauge circle with a gape that is similar in diameter to that of the live bait..10/0's for slimys and 8/0's for squid, lighter gauge keeps the livie swimming longer. I'll use a treble stinger when downrigging for kings as they tend to swipe at the bait .

if i am using cut baits or strips i will use the smallest possible hook that still allows the point to be exposed.

What's everyone's theories?

Slinky

Same as yours...Read some interesting info from Peter Pakula on hook design & what makes a 'gun' hook. he could not find one in the market so had them made bespoke to his req's ('Dojo hook'). Gist of it was: wide gape is good, turned in point is good (pointing straight at eye), finer the wire the better. example would be why fine wire suicide pattern is so lethal with both penetration & hold. Remember about a decade ago when those crazy looking ultra wide-gape hooks were all the rage for flatties & other bucket mouths? Then came the longline hook revolution - Both have a wide gape & turned in point. More recently we have assist hooks & live bait patterns...same

Longshank & sneck are on borrowed time.

Good topic, something different & applicable to every angler, nice one Slink.

Jig

About all I can add to this debate is something that Fishfinder Tony shared one afternoon over a Cappucino

during one of my interminable Q&A sessions. He said " Flighty , big hooks catch big fish , small hooks catch ALL fish!". Since that day , I have used much smaller hooks , and damned if he aint right , Im catching more fish!! Currently in my Gamakatsu Circle phase!! Love 'em!

Ross

And here was I thinking I was the only one....

Now here's another question for those who seem to share my 'smaller/finer' hook thoughts. Where can I find the following:

1. An alternative to the Owner Aki hook as a light guage non-offset live bait hook. The one thing I'd like is for the shank to be a little shorter like a traditional live bait hook but with the strong, lighter wire of the Owner.

2. A light live bait hook with no offset but a turned up eye (every turned up eye hook I've even found is offset). I want it for sliding snell 2 hook live bait rigs

Cheers, Slinky

I need to get me some of those hooks :)

I have found in my little experiance that I tend to catch more with smaller hooks but I'm too stupid to throw away all my bigger thicker ones so I keep using them and the fish as well :wacko: