Buying 2nd Hand Boat - Info

Tidas

I am looking at a second hand boat that is for sale at the moment.

'Something' prompted me to call NSW Maratime to see if the boat had ever sunk, been capsized or badly damaged as I didn't know where else I could call.

Both Maritime officers I called, paused for a while then said hang on a minute, put me on hold and when they came back said sorry I can't tell you.

So there is something they think is worth telling me but can't.

I asked if I could make application under the Freedom of Information Act and they said no.

Does anyone have any idea how I can research the history of the boat another way or know anyone that would tell me whats coming up ???

Would prefer to only reveal the details of the boat directly to the person helping me out.

Cheers.

I am looking at a second hand boat that is for sale at the moment.

'Something' prompted me to call NSW Maratime to see if the boat had ever sunk, been capsized or badly damaged as I didn't know where else I could call.

Both Maritime officers I called, paused for a while then said hang on a minute, put me on hold and when they came back said sorry I can't tell you.

So there is something they think is worth telling me but can't.

I asked if I could make application under the Freedom of Information Act and they said no.

Does anyone have any idea how I can research the history of the boat another way or know anyone that would tell me whats coming up ???

Would prefer to only reveal the details of the boat directly to the person helping me out.

Cheers.

how big is the boat?

Are you buying the boat from a person or from an auction?

If a person, where did they get it from?

There is a possibility that the boat was seized in the past by authorities and later sold, that's the only reason that comes to mind as why they won't release details.

Edited by reLapse

If there has been any police / waterways / insurance claims associated with the boat it is hard to get info relating to it. I had a vintage 911 that when i bought it had no intrest to revs and once i sold it it did. That was due to a number plate change and took me over 2 weeks to find out why NSW police had intrest in it and I was the owner and the only reason why they gave me any info was because they felt sorry for me. So basicaly its hard to get info relating to any of these touchy topics.

Well thats for cars but i imagine boats are the same sort of deal.

just my $0.02

how big is the boat?

20 foot

Are you buying the boat from a person or from an auction?

If a person, where did they get it from?

There is a possibility that the boat was seized in the past by authorities and later sold, that's the only reason that comes to mind as why they won't release details.

It is a private sale from a person not a yard.........well as far as I know anyway, boat is in the Trading Post as a private sale.

The person would not say in the first friendly conversation where they got it.

The seized issue wouldn't make it a bad boat though, unfortunate for someone else but boat would be fine. I got the impression there was a decent answer to my question "was there anything wrong with the boat" but they couldn't tell me.

Hi Mate I suggest!!!!

do a revs check

https://online.revs.nsw.gov.au/revs/btPublicEnq.htm

if it was a "repairable wright off" the insurance company may have notified revs and it will tell you when you do a revs check. (FYI revs does this on cars also)

Cool, didn't know they did that, I will have to ask the guy for the boat code.

Cheers.

if that doesnt work offer a to bribe a maritime officer for information. they usually like bourban and cant afford the good stuff

Haha, I can't afford the good stuff either, I'm buying a boat !!! ; )

When doing a revs check on a boat/trailer does the Hull I.D No. fall under boat code

yes hin is boat code

does the Engine number fall under the serail number on the motor.

yes engine serial is engine number

Its also states 4 engine numbers on revs ? For wgat purpose ?

incase there are 4 engines on it! many boats have at least 2!

Edited by CaineS

I wouldn't read any thing in to the fact that the Maritime officers wouldn't look up the information for you, as they would have probably been commiting an offence, accessing the details of an incident at the request of an individual. You were on the right track though, you could probably get the information through the FOI Act, but it obviously wont contain any person information of persons involved.

But to be honest a REVS check is all you need, most boats that are big collisions etc, are not worth repairing for resale.

Edited by Mick

I wouldn't read any thing in to the fact that the Maritime officers wouldn't look up the information for you, as they would have probably been commiting an offence, accessing the details of an incident at the request of an individual. You were on the right track though, you could probably get the information through the FOI Act, but it obviously wont contain any person information of persons involved.

But to be honest a REVS check is all you need, most boats that are big collisions etc, are not worth repairing for resale.

Thanks everyone for your info and advice.

Just as an update, I was able to gain the info I needed although from what I read here I probably would have found out what i wanted from REVS had I asked for the boatcode.

Without saying too much, my suspicions were justified and I will wait for the next "one" to come along.

Cheers

It is better not have loved and lost then never to have :unsure: or something like that

Probly for the best anyways!!! Good luck with the next one.

Always do a Revs check when buying a used car, boat, or caravan. Be it privately or even from a dealer. The repairable write off thing is one issue you may uncover, but also more commonly, You might uncover that there is money owed on the vehicle. Which can lead to some finance company coming to repossess your boat because some other guy hasn’t paid his loan. And guess what they can and will do it.

ALSO never ever buy a boat from this guy :1naughty: I have made that mistake twice now