Gps Troubles

oldsalty

Hey all,

I recently bought a navman tracker 5501i which was working great but now its acting a bit funny. I used it up in south west rocks and put in afew waypoints of reefs and it recorded my routes i had taken over afew days. On the last day all the waypoints were now sitting over land and the routes were my boat had taken were had moved over land aswell. Its as though the map had moved across a couple centermetres.

I used it in the harbour yesterday and made my way from roseville ramp through middle harbour out to dobroyd then as far as the tripod and back. The route it recorded had me driving over mountains in north bridge and traffic up the mosman hill, whats doing?

any info would be much appreciated :biggrin2:

Hi Salty, Navman have a 5505i and a 5430i but I have not heard of a 5501i. Did you get it here or OS. If so I have heard that the oversee units are not calibrated and that is what you might be finding.

Please check the model and let us know what it is and I may be able to help.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Salty, good little colour unit there. I would do a factory reset via the menu set-up and that resets the unit. Unfortunately you will lose any waypoints but it should fix the problem. If not then the unit will need to be looked at.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi oldsalty,

I think you might be running the incorrect GPS Datum for your mapping card.

Make sure it is set to WGS84 and you should be right, WGS84 and AUS66 are out by several hundred metres when you use the same co-ordinates for both...

See how you go

Cheers

Sammy