Amazing Mixed Bag From Greenhills To Wanda

james7

It was a beautiful day on the water yesterday. Headed out of Port Hacking, and then trolled around Jibbon bommie a few times. Motored over to Osbourne and drifted slowly for an hour or so. Managed to get a few sweep and maori wrasse.

As the wind was getting a little bit stronger from the W-NW, we made our way close in to the beach at Greenhills. We drifted for about 20 minutes before Pick-A-Box Syd caught the first “proper fish”, a nice 32cm flounder. He was very happy because his missus had “ordered one” (or should I say ordered him to get one!). After that it was non stop action for about an hour and a half as we drifted across Bate Bay. There were heaps of yakkas under boat at times, as well as a few slimmies smashing the baits and causing a few tangles. The baby snapper and flatties are a good sign I suppose too. Surprisingly, I even caught a very small kingy (about 45cm) on a prawn.

By the end of the day, it was an amazing mixed bag that ended up on the boat, and even if most weren’t keepers it made it an interesting action packed session.

1 Flounder

7 (baby) Snapper

3 Sweep

5 (big) Maori wrasse

1 Sgt Baker

12 Flathead

2 (big) Slimey mackerel

6 Yellowtail

1 Kingfish

5 Tailor

and 1 Box-fish (that's two in two trips)

This is what we brought home.

post-4381-1204865308_thumb.jpg

We kept a few wrasse and sweep to smoke, along with the two tailor.

post-4381-1204865325_thumb.jpg

And they were delicious!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Hi Peter. It looks like you all enjoyed a lot of action on Thursday catching and so many different types of fish on the menu !!

The fillets sure look very tasty, a la cuisine stuff restaurant style that lot mate :thumbup: .

Bet the old shark tamer Pick-A-Box Syd was happy to get hold of a nice footlong flounder for his wife's dinner order.

Persevering on the move in good locations in Bate Bay is so much better than the assortment of critters you find bottom bashing the deep water reefs in the middle of the day ay Pete. :)

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Peter. It looks like you all enjoyed a lot of action on Thursday catching and so many different types of fish on the menu !!

The fillets sure look very tasty, a la cuisine stuff restaurant style that lot mate .

Bet the old shark tamer Pick-A-Box Syd was happy to get hold of a nice footlong flounder for his wife's dinner order.

Persevering on the move in good locations in Bate Bay is so much better than the assortment of critters you find bottom bashing the deep water reefs in the middle of the day ay Pete.

Cheers

jewgaffer

Aye Jewgaffer, when fishing in Bate Bay you have to be ready for almost anything as proved by the sharks and (undersize) kingies we've caught lately. Moving around and a lot of patience sure helps. Although, I'm hoping the tailor might start increasing in size soon. It's also been a while since I've had a legal snapper too.

Seeing all those yakkas and slimmies only a couple of hundred metres off the beach must be encouraging for the "Cronulla-Wanda night beachfishing jewie brigade".

PS Well done on helping Waterrat get those jewies last week.

thanks for the invite!!!!!

well done..

Jewfish King, where were you? I kept the smoked fillets warm for you for ages! :yahoo:

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

Ol'matey John and I are still waiting for a sample of your smoked fish mate!!!

G'day Floating_Medic. I'm firing up the smoker tonight to smoke all the sweep I caught yesterday down at the "hump" and off the Royal National Park.

Don't be late! If I eat too much I may need your medical skills!

:yahoo:

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS