Live Baiting In Harbour

richard_pdc

Hi guys

just wondering where can you catch live bait from (yakkas,slimies garfish)

I fish south head on a calm day and catch plenty of yakkas and slimies \

Tried Balmoral but unsure where at exsactly you go ,

Any advice would be much apprecaited?

If you set yourself up directly in front of the Island at Balmoral , about 30 feet out , you will be right above Yakka Central. Water depth is about 12 feet. Use a good quality bait jig ( Sabiki , Wasabi , Hyabusa) with a tiny piece of squid , prawn or pilly , and you should rake them in !! They can be fussy eaters sometimes , on Friday , they wouldnt touch squid , but smashed prawn. On Sunday , they would take just about anything. We have even used small pieces of Yakka to catch Yakka ! :074:

Ross

is there a island in Balmoral?

I can only see a cicular bath/wharf and a little rocky point to the left.

Where exactly is Yakka central relative to the bath?

Thanks for the advice.

If you set yourself up directly in front of the Island at Balmoral , about 30 feet out , you will be right above Yakka Central. Water depth is about 12 feet. Use a good quality bait jig ( Sabiki , Wasabi , Hyabusa) with a tiny piece of squid , prawn or pilly , and you should rake them in !! They can be fussy eaters sometimes , on Friday , they wouldnt touch squid , but smashed prawn. On Sunday , they would take just about anything. We have even used small pieces of Yakka to catch Yakka ! :074:

Ross

I believe this is the location Ross is referring to:

post-6106-1205241875_thumb.jpg

The semicircular baths you mention also hold huge swarms of tiny yakkas in close. Mucho berley required. I like a paste of breadcrumbs & tuna oil in those little mesh garlic bags from grocers. But everyone has their own 11 secret herbs & spices

We have even used small pieces of Yakka to catch Yakka ! :074:

Haha take that yakkas!!!

Actually we saw a fairy penguin at the point opposite Balmoral (Grotto?) on Sat - beautiful! We fed him 3 yakkas from the bait tank. The only living thing that was interested in our yakkas...

Ahh thanks for that Jigholio.

Another question, can king fish be hooked fishing from that semi circle bath?

and that wharf near the hmas peguin, is that publically accessible?

I believe this is the location Ross is referring to:

post-6106-1205241875_thumb.jpg

The semicircular baths you mention also hold huge swarms of tiny yakkas in close. Mucho berley required. I like a paste of breadcrumbs & tuna oil in those little mesh garlic bags from grocers. But everyone has their own 11 secret herbs & spices

Naval waters are out of bounds. No anchoring/mooring or LB access. I have never seen kings at those baths but I have seen those huge yakka swarms pack death & bolt into the pool, some kind of predator in those waters, probably calamari - lots of kelp & moorings there.

best of luck

Jig

Last weekend when we were getting yakkas in front of the rocky island at about 7am, we saw a king on two occassionas cut through the cloud in yakkas like a guilotine only seen that once but. So they definitely hang out there too from time to time.

on a few occasions i have seen kingies cruisin around when getting yakkas so it pays to have the first one put back out as a speculator just in case... i remember seeing a guy get his squid smashed by a big king at the spit at night last year while he was squidding...

think about it if there is a smorgasboard of food about regularly then the predators wont be far.....

thats my theory anyway......

cheers...steve.....