Photo Of My Jewfish Killed By A Catfish

jewgaffer

Hi Everyone

I caught a jewfish on the top hook with a catfish caught on the remainder of the squid on the bottom hook. The jew was almost lifeless when it hit the deck and died shortly after, although it was mouth hooked and ran the heavy drag on hook up. This jewfish was fat and otherwise appeared generally healthy.

This is not the first time this has happened but on this instance the jew was a reasonable size school jew.

At other times over the years, when I've found my way into a catfish nest and hooked up several catfish, I have pulled in a line to find a soapie dead on the hook, not noticing the bite because of the current pull on the rod. Perhaps the fish drowned due to the current and dragging heavy lead but I believe there is a far bigger chance they were actually killed by catfish.

I have never found a jew dead on the hook like that other than in catfish territory.

Has anyone else had similiar experiences with catfish with jew or other species ?

The photo was taken on a new mobile phone with the protective plastic coating left on by mistake.

post-829-1205451850_thumb.jpg

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

OMG Jewgaffer! That sounds incredible!!! Do you reckon the catfish spiked the jew? For it to happen more than once is more than a coincidence, methinks!!

Well done on another jewie tho!!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Ive had a mate use a Catfish live and get a 10kg Jew??? :wacko:

Figure that out?

Kamil

I thought a 30 odd kg YFT on a 30cm bream was good...

That's great! :ninja:

I think there will always be unanswered questions when it comes to the water and fish.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tony Soprano

I thought a 30 odd kg YFT on a 30cm bream was good...

That's great! :ninja:

I think there will always be unanswered questions when it comes to the water and fish.

Cheers

Tony

True Tony, im pretty sure that was a 46kg Fin that Chris and Rob got on that 30cm Bream.

Crazy stuff!

Kamil

True Tony, im pretty sure that was a 46kg Fin that Chris and Rob got on that 30cm Bream.

Crazy stuff!

Kamil

catfish spines have a sting on them, so it could of gotten stung by it, its not unusual ive had a friend been attacket by a school while spearing and he was hospitalised.

Are you serious?! They attack? Geeze... they are evil. Ive been pinged by an elltail top spine at the pines once. I let out an amazingly loud expleative. It went to the bone on my first finger. Aside from the pain, no issues.

But, gee, catfish ganging up... must be trying to protect something...? I hate catfish.

Same bloke using a live Yakka hooked the biggest Flathead he had ever seen and when it surfaced he realised all he hooked was the catfish inside its mouth that it just ate! :wacko:

Kamil

I've seen exactly the same thing happen @ pumicestone passage only the 'council shovel ' ate a good size spinefoot, which locked it's spines preventing the flattie from spiitting it back out. They are greedy buggers & the bigguns will eat anything that'll fit!