83cm Flatty

plankton

As dissapointed as I was to have seen this fish die, it has made for excellent table fair for the last few nights.

It was taken on a soft plastic shad on the top of the tide, but unfortunately the lure which had been lodged inside the gills of the fish had caused excessive bleeding and serious injury. At 83cm it is a nice Harbour fish!

post-3217-1206233234_thumb.jpg

Hey Brett,

Nice flattie mate.

Kicking back in Fiji and getting on it big time.

I will hit the deep blue in the next day or so.

PS. Fiji is awesome.

Post up anything i can catch . It will be catch and release.

Cheers.

Hey Brett,

Nice flattie mate.

Kicking back in Fiji and getting on it big time.

I will hit the deep blue in the next day or so.

PS. Fiji is awesome.

Post up anything i can catch . It will be catch and release.

Cheers.

Michael, I was feeling lucky with the 4 days off I've been given away from work... and then you had to go and tell me you were in Fiji lol. Hope your having more than just a few :beersmile: and get into some big time fish fish. From memory I think there are some good charters operating out of Iriki Island. Good luck!

Hugeted - It's a Middle Harbour Fish.

Great lizard, might be a bit dry but don't feel guilty about eating a fish that dies at the boat.

Dave

With old fish, I semi-braise them by leaving the lid of the pan & cooking slowly. Their own juices won't evaporate and their flesh stays firm and moist.

On another note - are large Jews (30+kg) o.k. to eat or are they super tough? Never tried a big one.

Edited by plankton

I dont know how you guys prepare your fish?????

Big flatties are NOT dry to eat. Its a myth to stop everyone from killing em. I support C&R of our breeders but the odd occassion when one has died has been sweet and moist. The flesh was bettert eating than the smaller varieties. Especially crumbed and shallow fried. Bloody delicious.

Also large jew are much better eating than the schoolies up to 6-8kgs. Once again the fleash is firmer and still retains the sweetness and moisture. Between 10 - 25kgs are best eating. I have never found them to be oily either????

Anyway, just my opinion.