Tuff Braided Line

Kirks

hi guys

I am looking to load a reel up with 80pound braided line for big jews from a boat and from the break wall. i am looking for tuff line because i have heard good reports from it. it is being spooled up on a overhead reel.

Steve

P.S i doesn't not have to be tuff line any good brand of braid is fine.

Edited by Kirkby

Firstly!! Are you asking for someone to spool your reel with quality braid for free? I realise from your profile you are only 12, but thats a big ask dude. :1prop:

Also i think 80lb braid is a bit over kill for jews.

80 lb = 36.28 kilograms

36kg Jews are pritty rare!!!!

Your knots, trace, and possibly hooks or Rod would give way before your line does. :wacko:

Tell us what sort of rod and reel are you using????and we will come up with some ideas for you.

Edited by CaineS

Yeah Steve

What Caine says is right - from a boat you can go way down in size - even 20lb tufline would be fine with a good tough leader - say to 80lb!

Probably 30lb braid for off the wall would do & once again the really strong, long leader for off the breakwall, shorter if off a boat. It is your reel that will be the 'braking system' so I'd be checking that out more than the line! You'd need at least a 12ft rod for off the wall with really strong butt (7wrap would be good.) Anything shorter off the rocks & you'd be skunked almost immediately unless you are right on the bottom rocks .... which is tooooo dangerous!! From a boat you could go for a way shorter rod.

Are you planning on using livies or sps??

Lots of posts on FR on all types of jewfishing - just do a search in fishing chat or reports or tackle talk!

Cheers

Roberta

PS At night here, i have it on personal information from a buddy who regularly catches big jewies off the wall ..... live worms outfishes every other bait at night time! He is often fishing all night!!

Edited by Roberta

hey mate

I am using a daiwa saltist 50 overhead on a ugly stik tiger rod from the U.S.A and when i go upto yamba again i am going to get FSU 5120 overhead rod, know this rod is 10" but the local tackle store has pictures of guys and this rod with jews round 70pounds so yeh.

thanks Cain and roberta

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kirkby You mentioned using the ten foot rod off breakwalls on braid. I wouldn't use braid anywhere near breakwalls and rocks. I would use 40lb mono with 60lb leader for that purpose not braid. Braid would be good to use on tight drag for a good hook up rate on dead bait in a boat or off the beach with just enough drag to have a livie swim a little and then adjust the drag to have the livie struggle along a bit.

Good luck with the 7' US Ugly Tiger Rod. For a twelve year old fisherman I think you are doing exceptionally well. :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

hey Byron

I am actually going to use this setup more off the beach with the long 10" rod and then i am going to use a 7" uglystik tiger in the rivers.

And i am going to go down to 50 or 65 lb braid on the reel instead of 80, this is because i have got to cast with this setup.

Steve

P.S for those who are interested i am going to bye two tiger rods for myself and two extras to sell.

• 3 weeks later...

hey mate

I am using a daiwa saltist 50 overhead on a ugly stik tiger rod from the U.S.A and when i go upto yamba again i am going to get FSU 5120 overhead rod, know this rod is 10" but the local tackle store has pictures of guys and this rod with jews round 70pounds so yeh.

thanks Cain and roberta

steve

Hi.

I've made a coupla 5120's Tipped to 10ft. running an ABU 9000 red 2 spd off them.

Brilliant stick off beach etc. Don't need any longer for lure fishing...

Cought Mulloway and Kingies, to over 70lb years ago.. On the ABU. In SA. Walking the beach, chasing the fish. Wish they still made that model reel.

It's Not too good on rocks though. Unless you nurse it a bit.

(I'm a bit heavy handed and use to go to some hairy places.) FSU 5120 is a very thin walled blank for it's dia.

Easy to knock and weaken. I used to use a Fenwick blank for rocks. Can't remember model no now. (It was 35plus yrs ago) Also 10 ft 6 in long.

See Ya

Macka17