Kings Cousin!

wildfish

launched at botany this morning and went straight over to get some yakkas!

tried to get a king on the downrigger at moulinex, but no takers! there were massive schools of bait but no kings showing on the sounder, maybe 1 or 2 smallies!

so i decided to pull some lures around on the coust line!

got to long bay and the x-rap goes off! scott(workmate) grabs the rod and starts to wind it in pointing out how tight the line was!

he gets it to the boat and i call it for a king! but as i struggle to net him i see that its a sampson fish! 55cm.

this is scotts 1st and the 1st sampson in my boat!

back to moulinex and still plenty of bait fish but no luck!

post-3094-1206328819_thumb.jpg

It looks like it may have a stripe across the eye hard to tell from the pic but if it has could be an amberjack rather than a samson

Still a nice fish

i only thought it was a samson fish because of the really patchy markings as always seen with juvinile samsons! do amberjacks have this characteristic also?

Edited by wildfish

a nice samson there, well done. we get them off shore and up at the central coast jigging during winter time, not the big one's they get in Perth just small one's and the small one's make for good eating.

Edited by Scon

I often hear about Moulinex point in the bay.

Where is it?

Thanks heaps

Dan

Hi Dan. If you go to the "Boating" section, then the "GPS Marks" forum, you will see a thread called "Another Thread Suggestion". Scroll down to almost the end of the first page and you'll see a great map of Botany Bay (posted by Kruzenvax). It is the large map with a grid. You'll see Moulinex Point marked. (The coords are I16)

I hope this helps

Cheers

Peter