Sydney Today

yockman

Hi guys

Headed out from the harbour today after a marlin. Started trolling about a mile inside the shelf, didn't really look that promising. Water was 21.8 and an ordinary colour.

Picked up some slimies about lunchtime and put them on. About 2, one got hit and was on briefly. Soon after that, I saw more on the sounder so put the jig back down. Got a couple and moved on.

While I was getting the new one ready, the other one that was till in took off, big time! The fish started jumping and it was a good size. It peeled a heap mor line and started jumping, this time about 200m from the boat.

Seeing as I was on my own, I knew I had my work cut out. Anyway, cutting a long story short, 1 hour 20 mins later, it was into its 5th set of jumps, though they weren't as aggro as earlier. I never felt in control for a moment, jut had to chase. 10 mins later, I had the double on, for the fourth time and the trace was in the guides but I just could not lift this fish.

At last I had a couple of wraps of the wind-on on the reel and I was thinking what to do next. A quick flick of the tail and pop, on the skeg :(:( . Oh well, it was good to sit down.

One thing I've learnt is that billfishing is definitely a team sport. With someone else driving, the outcome would probably have been different. Anyway, it was my frst sydney marlin from my own boat so that was good.

No pics, unfortunately, my brother borrowed my camera.

Cheers,

Yock

Thanks guys, they sure go hard and keep on going. After 1 1/2 hours it was still swimming strongly, and i was knackered. Couldn't put the harness on cos it would have stopped me getting back and forth to the helm.

Have done a lo of solo fishing for tuna before so I know the routine ok, but this time i was outgunned.

BTW Rabs, if you read this, it was on the TTS outfit I bought from you at Christmas. Excellent gear.

Yock

Thanks guys, they sure go hard and keep on going. After 1 1/2 hours it was still swimming strongly, and i was knackered. Couldn't put the harness on cos it would have stopped me getting back and forth to the helm.

Have done a lo of solo fishing for tuna before so I know the routine ok, but this time i was outgunned.

BTW Rabs, if you read this, it was on the TTS outfit I bought from you at Christmas. Excellent gear.

Yock

Yockman,

Well done mate, glad to hear you gave that outfit a good run. Nice and solid those TTS reels.

You sound busier that a one-arm bricklayer in Baghdad with that fish. If you need crew just send me a PM and we can make arrangements for a day out.

Cheers,

Rabs.