Which Baitrunner

Roffo

Hi Gang,

I've been thinking of putting together a kingfish outfit together ever since the boys re-aquanted me with Middle Harbour on my birthday.

I'm looking at the 6500 or the big btr lc, has anybody got the big btr ?? (as it has extra line capacity and upto a 12kg drag).

I have heard there is an 08 6500 on it's way but can't find any info on it yet..........

Also can someone point me in the direction of a great rod builder as I can't track down Cassie that used to work at Bluefin sports.....

Any advice would be good..

Cheers

Roffo

PS. Hope you all had a great break.

Try Tony from Fishfinder. Other Raiders love his work.

Reelwise, I would look at the Twinpower, Stradic and Sustain over a Baitrunner. Unless you really need the free spooling feature (if a King grabs it in baitrunner mode, you are likely to get the tangle of all tangles). Also, they are too plastic for my liking. I like the machined handles and all alloy construction in a Kingy reel.

What sort of coin are you willing to spend? There are heaps of reel options. :1prop:

Gday mate,

I have just picked up the BTR6500 and am planning on matching it to a 15kg Shimano Elite backbone rod. This or a Shimano Catana - both are suitably matched..

Good luck

Tan

Don't go with the Catana. I think they are only rated to 10kg.

I loaded the drag up on one about a year ago whilst fishing with 20lb mono and it started to make some awful creaking noises. No noticable damage and i still landed the fish but I think 10kg may even be an overstatement.

Dave

Don't go with the Catana. I think they are only rated to 10kg.

I loaded the drag up on one about a year ago whilst fishing with 20lb mono and it started to make some awful creaking noises. No noticable damage and i still landed the fish but I think 10kg may even be an overstatement.

Dave

Sheeeeesh....... thanks mate - backbone elite it is then!!

Shimano Elite ro09-14 Shimano Elite BB15kg

New series. Now fitted with Fuji guides, better cosmetics and black and gold machined reel seat.

Built for Australian conditions. Backbone game rods offer Shimano quality at a reasonable price. Use for trolling or bottom bouncing. Aluminium reel seat and roller tip.

Length: 5' 7"

Line weight: 15kg

Try Tony from Fishfinder. Other Raiders love his work.

Reelwise, I would look at the Twinpower, Stradic and Sustain over a Baitrunner. Unless you really need the free spooling feature (if a King grabs it in baitrunner mode, you are likely to get the tangle of all tangles). Also, they are too plastic for my liking. I like the machined handles and all alloy construction in a Kingy reel.

What sort of coin are you willing to spend? There are heaps of reel options. :1prop:

Thanks Ceph,

The free spooling feature will come in handy when downrigging after watching Mike working his 6500.

I was thinking a G note will cover the whole outfit, what are the twin powers like ??

Cheers

Roffo

Thanks Gents,

As far as a rod is concerned I was thinking of a 15kg butterworth blank (4or5 wrap) mybe 7 foot If they are still available and titanium ring or ring inserts for tuff line or similar.

Or the other option is a good off the rack Shimano...

Cheers

Roffo

Hi Roffo,

Just a suggestion mate but if your after a reel of those dimensions, the Spheros is another option, its built with an Aluminium body so its also perfect for jigging for kings. I think they retail for around the same price as the baitrunner too. I have the 14000 with the upgraded bearings and handle and cant fault it. I use it mostly for live baiting and jigging but the faster retrieve makes bottom bashing a bit easier too.

Cheers

Allen

(chewsta)

Hey Roffo,

I own both the 6500 and the Big bTR have also got the okuma epix 80(I'm a big fan of baitrunners) and personally i think all of them are great reels.

Since you seem to be leading towards the shimano's both the 6500 and big btr have excellent drag systems they are smooth and handle very well. The advantage of the big btr is it's casting abilities and it's also lighter. I believe it also got a few more ball bearings but as I said before both are smooth reels.

I purchased my big btr for $219(extremely cheap imo seeing as I was quoted well and above by several tackle shops) and I think they are still for sale at that price if your interested just pm me. Also they have the 6500 for sale for $189 with a 7' catana rod.

All in all both are great reels and if it's a baitrunner your after they won't let you down.

Regards,

Wilson

Roffo, i bought my lot a few years back from a local store. Might be worth giving Shimano a call to see if they still supply our market with them. Normal Baitrunners are very good reels but the Thunnus are better thanks largely to their metal construction, making them a better choice for heavier braid line applications.

Cheers

Red

Roffo, i bought my lot a few years back from a local store. Might be worth giving Shimano a call to see if they still supply our market with them. Normal Baitrunners are very good reels but the Thunnus are better thanks largely to their metal construction, making them a better choice for heavier braid line applications.

Cheers

Red

Gotta agree with you here. I own the normal BTR's and find em a good reel but my two thunnus' are simply a cut above. They dont flex under load and with the drag upgrade put serious pressure on big fish. I can run 50lb braid no probs.

If you can dtill find em go for it. Try ebay.com you sometimes see em pop up real cheap from the states.