Omh 23032008

kingiemaster

Got up Sunday morning, coffee in hand and went to my local lookout to check out the conditions. Much friendlier than previous two days with the SE easing.

So went home and grabbed my gear and headed for Old Mans Hat.

Got down there about 11.30am to fish the falling tide. Haven't had much luck over the past month or so with condidtions being either too rough or too calm. Today conditions were perfect, still a bit of SE swell but not too much that it would be dangerous.

First cast with the light outfit and within a minute I'm on. The 8lb mono peeled off the reel and all I could do was hang on, and then hook pulled.

Next cast with the drummer outfit. Next 30 minutes or so I lost a few baits which I think was down to the No 2 live bait hook I thought I'd try out. So I switched to my trusty size 10 sneck and finally landed a nice blackie of 36cm. Another 20 minutes go by and I'm on big time. Text book fish control, changing the angle of the rod, waiting for waves to bring it up ledge by ledge and finally land a nice fat piggy. Went 48cm and 2.5 kg. For there size I reckon they fight as hard as Kings. Hook was starting just to bend straight.

Caught another blackie that went 33cm and not long after decided to pull the pin.

So a good day off the rocks followed by an OK day in the boat chasing Kings (see other report).

Dave

post-3858-1206398970_thumb.jpg

post-3858-1206399005_thumb.jpg

great catch dave :thumbup:

have not fished omh for about 20yrs never tried for blackies there but did get a lot of kings there with live bait which i caught there also

there are some huge drummer there[over 5kgs] on cungi and bread

peter :1fishing1:

Hi Peter, whereabouts is OMH? if you don;t mind.. :biggrin2:

hi kingiemaster

i remember last time i was at OMH i met you and was pretty quiet that day. i'm glad you're on the blackies and drummer again.

did you use weeds as bait?

i myself went fishing off the rocks at whale beach. it was way to dangerous to get close to the ledge, big big waves that day.

cheers

bertrand

hi kingiemaster

i remember last time i was at OMH i met you and was pretty quiet that day. i'm glad you're on the blackies and drummer again.

did you use weeds as bait?

i myself went fishing off the rocks at whale beach. it was way to dangerous to get close to the ledge, big big waves that day.

cheers

bertrand

Hi Bertrand

Yes I remember. It was great meeting you.

I was a little cranky :mad3: that day with the fishing being so quiet. I'm usually a bit friendlier than that.

Look forward to seeing again some day, I might even have a go at Whale beach some day. :biggrin2:

Dave

Hi Bertrand

Yes I remember. It was great meeting you.

I was a little cranky :mad3: that day with the fishing being so quiet. I'm usually a bit friendlier than that.

Look forward to seeing again some day, I might even have a go at Whale beach some day. :biggrin2:

Dave

hi dave

whale beach been pretty quiet lately (where i normally fish). for unknown reason sweeps have taken territory where i normally fish drummer. last year i've never seen any of those bait thief around but now they always there.

you guys ever experienced that? how to get rid of them?

yeah will give omh a try again one of these days

take care

bertrand