Botany Mixed Bag Monday 24th

Sammy0884

Hi Guys,

crazedfisherdude and myself were contemplating fishing overnight sunday night and into monday but canned that idea with the forecast rain, so a reasonably early start of 5.30am was scheduled. We were grabbed our prawns and squid and head for the ramp, where we were greeted by a line of 20 boats waiting for the ramp :1badmood: We waited and enjoyed our McDonalds muffins and dropped the boat in amongst a plethora of other rigs, including some awesome looking bream boats post-1587-1206445823_thumb.jpg

about 20 of the things all with 200 etecs :1prop:

We made way over the glassed out bay to the bait grounds where we were greeted by rain, which set in for the next 2 hours while we gathered a tank full of tiny yakkas and a handfull of squid.

The plan was to downrig the squid around the markers or a bait balls should we find any... We marked some bait right on the point of the breakwall and promptly dropped a squid down on the rigger, it only took a few moments before the telltale hits and pop on the downrigger clip.. a few moments later a horse salmon was boated... A few more passes didn't produce anything so we turned and head offshore in search of some flathead for the table.

The drift was set and the hits were instant, chris scored a great fish of 55cm on a dirty salmon bait..

post-1587-1206445938_thumb.jpg

three drifts in total and 6 flathead over 40cm were on the ice with double that number thrown back.

post-1587-1206445870_thumb.jpg

The time was now 11.45 and the nor easter was freshening so we decided to head back inside and burley up some trevally or even a king if we were lucky enough.

We went over to the oil wharf to escape the wind behind the two moored tankers, but that was going to prove a difficult decision as the wind was blowing against the tide, the burley and lines were heading under the boat and toward the bow which is a real pain. so we rigged up the anchor off the aft starboard cleat which was perfect and put the stern perfectly square to the burley slick. It wasnt long before the first hit which saw an undersized bream released. Two more bream were boated before we took two legal bream around the 30cm mark for the table, another was released onto the ice shortly after... Chris got a screaming hit which we called for a small king at first, but it turned out to be a great trevally that put up a brilliant fight..... we pumped out some more of my secret burley mix and i took a screaming run on my peeled prawn rigged on my 6lb line bream outfit.... the run took nearly half the spool and we knew straight away that it was a king.. three more screaming runs had my arm aching before chris slipped the net under a healthy king that went 66cm to the tip of the tail, my first landed on bream gear after loosing two previously....

post-1587-1206446031_thumb.jpg

Chris got another screaming run shortly after that had similar weight to a king, but ended up being a dirty salmon with a few strange lesions on the tail.

post-1587-1206445991_thumb.jpg

Once the burley had run out we pulled the pin and headed home to wash up.

post-1587-1206446098_thumb.jpg

It was a really fun day, and a change to the draining game fishing that we have spend so much time on recently.

cheers

Sammy

Great session boys and a fine mixed bad of excellent table fish. :thumbup:

Must have been a welcome change from chasing beakies all day just to do some leisurely

drifts and picking up a fine feed.

Well done landing that kingy on bream gear..must have been touch and go for a while I bet.

Nice report and pics.

Cheers,

Pete.

sammy,

all those boats where part of the easter fishing classic run at BAFA over the weekend, they where all the top bream pros from shimano, squidgy, evenrude, hains etc it went over three days and was a catch and release comp for bream, flathead and whiting all the fish where kept in a large tank opposite the club, and there were some absolutely cracking fish caught! they released them all monday arvo in the cooks! would have been a great time to throw an SP around.

brett

team shimano won the comp by the way.

Edited by brettm-c

Sammy

Great mixed bag there guys.

I see no marlin in the pick’s Sammy :thumbdown::074: but i reckon that Chris would have been keen to remind you of what it is like to catch one and what a buzz it was. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

His tales will help keep you tuned for the next season. :biggrin2:

But in the mean time you can look forward to the yft :1fishing1:.

Hopefully you will have some joy there.

Cheers

Bob

Edited by aussie big bob