Manly Wharf Observations

kingiemaster

I recently started to catch the Manly ferry to and from work and naturally I always have a look around the wharf to see what the resident blackies and surgeons fish are doing and looking out for Kings.

Last night and this morning I saw a big a school of salmon milling around the baths and the wharf.

Didn't appear to be any more baitfish than usual so just another example piscatorial phenomena?

Also noticed that a few guys bringing in a net next to the Aquirium. I can only assume they were netting the salmon to feed the sharks and other critters at the Aquirium. Fair enough I suppose?!?

Thanks kingiemaster, your report reminded when I was at Manly fifteen or twenty years ago. There was a little kid fishing right next to the "no fishing" sign near where the ferries come in. He was casting a silver lure into a huge school of salmon off the beach and all around the jetty. When he'd hook one, he'd run down the jetty to the beach and up onto the sand, dragging the fish out of the water. His gear was too light to lift it out of the water. There was quite a crowd watching and cheering. I saw him do this three times. I just wish I had a camera.

Cheers

Peter

Yeah... I've seen big schools of salmon cruising the shoreline quite commonly up in North Harbour... never managed to get one to take a lure or soft plastic and they don't seem to be feeding actively. If anyone knows what they're up to when they do that let me know.

Cheers, slinky