Trout Fishing

Hi everyone,

I fished the Geehi area over Easter with spinners and Rapala minnows and managed this beautiful brown at around 11am on the Saturday. My mate had a few casts into the same pool with his celta without a touch but my first cast got slammed and after a great fight in some snaggy country was able to grab this nice brown.

Didn't have a tape measure with me but the fish felt at least 1.5kg. Fought well on my Berkley Dropshot 7ft 2-4kg rod loaded with 6lb fireline and 8lb Vanish on the Tierra 2500.

Caught a few other small browns over the weekend (ranging from 10cm to 20cm) but this was the only nice fish caught. Tasted great out of the smoker.

Cheers

Marty

post-1576-1206496464_thumb.jpg

Nice colours on trout

post-1576-1206496486_thumb.jpg

The lure that did the damage

post-1576-1206496515_thumb.jpg

The log-encrusted pool she came out of

Hi Marty,

I got back from Geehi last night and after 6 days down there got next to zip

we camped next to the river crossing and saw a couple of spinners heading out on dusk each arvo was that you?

best i could manage was 2 10 inch rainbows down stream from the crossing 1 12 inch rainbow up past the road bridge and few little tackers

I did manage to spook a large brown twice that was on the far bank in the pool upstream from the xing whilst retrieving a lure from a tree.

The 12 inch ranbow was actually caught by my darling wife after I pointed out where to flick here lure (if I had got there first it would have been mine).

we tried all the river up and down from the crossing.

the stream under Bogon bridge

the geehi walls trail area down stream

the Murry 2 Dam on Kayaks

the Kahncoban River

the middle stream on the way up to Geehis Dam

Where abouts did you go

cheers

And Roberta we now have Kayaks but not the Hobies we could aford them

But are starting to enjoy cruising around and fishing in tight places

Edited by Yes Dear

Yeah that could have been me and my mate wading past the crossing. Were you at the river crossing directly off the main road from Thredbo or the one further down past Keebles hut?

Yeah there weren't many trout around this year. Low water levels and warmer water I think contributed to the poor fishing.

We were camped right next to Keeble's Hut and fished a few km's down stream. Was hard work catching that one trout. Left camp at around 7:30am and didn't make it back until about 4pm that afternoon. Walking in waders over those damn smooth and uneven rocks certainly takes it's toll. Was pretty sore after that. Can't beat the serenity though!

Marty

Yeah that could have been me and my mate wading past the crossing. Were you at the river crossing directly off the main road from Thredbo or the one further down past Keebles hut?

Yeah there weren't many trout around this year. Low water levels and warmer water I think contributed to the poor fishing.

We were camped right next to Keeble's Hut and fished a few km's down stream. Was hard work catching that one trout. Left camp at around 7:30am and didn't make it back until about 4pm that afternoon. Walking in waders over those damn smooth and uneven rocks certainly takes it's toll. Was pretty sore after that. Can't beat the serenity though!

Marty

We were at the first xing next to the Geehi Hut

we had 2 red kayaks on the trailer right next to the xing

you are right those river pebbles are hard going but the water was so clear

I reckon I must have spooked every fish in the river with all the slipping and spluttering through the water

I was amazed at some of the deep pools that didn't hold fish but when you see kids chucking rocks in them you can figure it out.

Maybe an off peak trip next time.

cheers

Marty

Well done Marty on getting your yaks - just cruise around the edges casting under trees & into shadows ahead of you .... just a matter of time till you get one!

Re Slipping on the rocks - do you have felt soled shoes? Ever tried them? they are good on the river rocks. Normal wading shoes normally don't hack it at all!

Cheerio

Roberta

Top Brown there Marty, I would give you slightly more that 1.5kg judging by the photo's :thumbup:

I was also up there over Easter, hit Tantangara, Three Mile, Dry Dam and Tumut Pondage and caught a few fish. I couldn't get over the crowds, been a long time since I went to the Snowies over Easter and I remember now why I stopped in the first place!

Will put a full report up shortly.

Cheers

Windy

Well done Marty on getting your yaks - just cruise around the edges casting under trees & into shadows ahead of you .... just a matter of time till you get one!

Re Slipping on the rocks - do you have felt soled shoes? Ever tried them? they are good on the river rocks. Normal wading shoes normally don't hack it at all!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hey Roberta it was me "Yes Dear" that got the yaks

got to start decking them out now

cheers