Harbour Kings And Calamari

dodgem

hi all, went out last thursday chasing the usual calamari and kings. i started off lucky, getting into some really big calamari, look at the size difference.

post-2837-1206845577_thumb.jpg

i started off using smaller 1.8 jigs, and for a change i went to 2.5 and thats when the calamari came on the chew. so with two big and a handfull of smaller ones i set off in search of kings.

post-2837-1206845782_thumb.jpg

tried downrigging most of the structure in the harbour and then moved onto shark and clark islands for a big zero. thought id make my way out to north head via a few of the structures i bummed out on previously.

finally i had found quite a few kings on one of buoys, and they were good size, got 7 in total, kept 3. nothing under 70cm, and for the first time got big time smoked on my locked up saltiga 4500 :1yikes:

biggest went 83cm.

post-2837-1206846191_thumb.jpg

until next time,

cheers david

ps my bait tank is now in the for sale section for anyone who is interested

Sorry - excuse my ignorance - am new to the site and fishing generally.

When you catch a calamari/squid that size (large) do you cut it up for bait or use the whole thing on a big hook??

Caught a big one last night and chopped it up , and got nothing????

Sorry - excuse my ignorance - am new to the site and fishing generally.

When you catch a calamari/squid that size (large) do you cut it up for bait or use the whole thing on a big hook??

Caught a big one last night and chopped it up , and got nothing????

Nice shots of the calamari Dodgem and it's good to be able to see how your baitfish are going. You can quickly pull the weaker ones and dead ones out of the mix to save the others and cut them up for the squid strip and fillet supply. Great result on the kingfish . Your whole operation is a very good one :thumbup:

I'd just like to add that in my opinion dead squid works well but whole dead fish not at least opened up by cutting out the gut and putting a few cuts across the body are not the best of baits and really only belong in crab traps.

Hi Dogsrule :1welcomeani:

I'd like to help a little with your question by saying that no matter where you fish large live baits and larger dead baits can get you a good size fish, particularly large whole squid as it is harder to get baited and bigger fish will steal a larger bait away from smaller fish just like a Rottweiller will steal a leg of lamb from a pack of poodles whether it's hungry or not :thumbup:

Cheers and welcome to Fishraider

jewgaffer :1fishing1: