How Much Am I Looking To Spend

philip_the_fisher

It really depends, maybe about $200-300 all up. Hard to say if you're not sure exactly what you're looking for. Maybe go down to your local tackle shop and talk to the guys there, and you should get sorted out. Its pretty dependent on how much you are willing to spend, obviously the more you spend the better quality you'll receive. Top brands are probably Shimano and Daiwa+ they have a big range.

Good Luck

How long is a piece of string?

Depends if you purchase an overhead with star drag, lever drag, 2 speed, etc.

If you plan to cast then maybe you need to look at buying 2 outfits. A boat rod coupled to an o/head, plus a spinning outfit. Obviously you will require a heavier line for your "larger fish" which may not be conducive for casting. I agree with Josh, check your local tackle store, they usually have ready made combos on the shelf and can provide you with the best answers and or options.

Let us know what you end up getting. Good luck

Any particular reason you're wanting an overhead. I love them and use them a lot but threadlines can be a little more versatile depending on what you mean when you say "casting". A Shimano Baitrunner perhaps if you're looking for the ability to freespool baits???

Same as the other guys... to big a question with about a million possible answers. Give Pete at Go Fish or Tony at Fishfinder a phone call and they could probably help out a lot over the phone.

Cheers, Slinky

Spend as much as you are willing to spend. "Larger" fish will soon find the weak link in a cheap outfit!

We have had Kings strip gears, snap rod holders, snap rods, straighten and snap hooks, pull side rails off the boat and generally destroy all manner of lines and leaders. :biggrin2:

Don't under estimate the power of the dark side.

Get yourself some strong gear! :thumbup: