More Lb Luderick

klainz

I joined the site last month and this is my first post. I've enjoyed reading all the reports and I've been hanging out for a session to post.

I read Choad's posting about his friend Houston's first efforts at luderick. Very impressive. Successful conversion from just watching a pro. Makes me think it would be worth getting out on charters just to see how these guys fish - the learning curve would definitely be steep! Anyway, the report inspired me to get on and have my first official luderick session for the year today.

It was bottom of the tide, middle of the day with the sun shining brightly and water clear. At a secret 'old school' rock wall spot on the Georges.

I had managed to find some good weed (which I'm finding harder to find) and it gave me all the confidence I needed.

post-7134-1207311781_thumb.jpg

It's been said a thousand times before but they are a great battler on light gear.

A couple more were lost and a couple straightened my hooks. I'll definitely be back!

Included in the catch was a bream on weed which is a first for me! Might have been because I was burleying with bread in the mix.

:1welcomeani: to fishraider.Nice fish mate. I tried fishing for blackies up at the entrance last week with not much luck. I'll have to give the georges a go. As you said, these fish are excellent fighters, and give you a run for your money.

Nice early season fish for the Georges makes me think it will be a cracker year in the river if they are already moving in before Anzac Day, esky blackies are acommon occurence on flesh and bread they really are omnivorous as for a bream on weed thats quite common when they are spawning! And if you want a hook that rarely straightens usu a mustard viking 540 in a size 10 or 8 for the river.

cheers

Royce.

Well done Klainz!! Nice looking fish!! Well done on getting the good weed! It is hard to get here just now too. :1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider!

I caught a small bream on weed the other day, too - my 2nd. Also caught a 70cm+ flattie a year ago! That was a real surprise.... on a no 12 hook & weed!!

Can't wait for them to come on the chew up here!

Cheerio

Roberta

hi klainz :1welcomeani::1welcomeani:

nice catch :thumbup: what hooks were you using

peter :1fishing1:

Hi Luderick59,

I was usng mustad needle sneck hooks size 8. What hooks do other raiders use? Also, do you think it makes any difference using a green coloured hook? It could possibly be psychological!

I've only been fishing for them for a couple of years (a friend's dad showed me the ropes) but these hooks seem to be strong enough usually. Maybe the bag I bought was a bad batch.

Hi Luderick59,

I was usng mustad needle sneck hooks size 8. What hooks do other raiders use? Also, do you think it makes any difference using a green coloured hook? It could possibly be psychological!

I've only been fishing for them for a couple of years (a friend's dad showed me the ropes) but these hooks seem to be strong enough usually. Maybe the bag I bought was a bad batch.

hi klainz

i too have had the green hooks straightened sometimes [may be bad batch] but also caught fish to 1 kg onthem in a size 12 dont think the colour makes a difference as it wears of after a few fish

will try and get some 540 viking in no8 and give them a go as luderick angler suggested

peter :1fishing1:

G'day Pete,

540's are a brilliant hook if you want finesse try the VMC in the equivelent to 540's but chemically sharpened also try the suicide patterns in mustad 9263 and 92254 (heavy stainless great when the pigs are about Peter in a size 6 and all a pig wil look at tis a tiny bit of cabbage also good on big luderick in rough water you can bet they wont straighten or pull often.

Chopper as for luderick in that part of the river they are okay to eat i have eaten luderick from as far up as East Hills footbridge you will find a lot of these fish are travellers coming in to spawn now as it is almost that time of year when every part time luderick angler comes out of the closet when every other species starts to shut down.

you will find that luderick are one of the toughest and hardiest fish surviving very cold water temps and the Georges gets bloody cold let me tell you from standing in it in a pair of waders under the boat shed at Lugarno :frozen::074:

Go at guys if you need a fed they are one of the few fishthta can be almost counted on to rock up pick your tides and away you go.

Guys like Tiger Carmonella and Geoff Barr wereexperts atthis type of fishing and fished these very spots okay enough i'm :offtopic:

hope its a good season fellas as it will be the first one i miss in 27 years! :1badmood::05: