Browns, 12mile, The Peak And Home

aussie big bob

Hi raiders

It has been a while since i have posted a report but that is because it’s been that long since i have been out.

The day started when a fellow raider invited me out for a fish on Saturday, so with the weather looking so good :yahoo: and no work on :yahoo: i said yes.

Saturday morning up at 1 am to head over to fellow raiders arrive there at 2.30.

Boat in water at 4am and of to mollies to get some livies. Arrive at mollies to find a few other boats there, one of them being keepin tabbs. So dropped anchor and start fishing for lives they where very shy and could not encourage them onto the bite no matter how much or type of berly we threw at them. So after an hour or so and only six yellow and two slimes in the tank it was off to browns.

Well this is where the fun begins, go to pull up anchor and it didn’t want to come to the party. :ranting2: So with a little help of the 150 yammie and 15 or so mins we managed to get it off the bottom, which is a much better result than last time when the rope and sarta anchor remained on the bottom of mollies. :ranting2:

We head off towards browns when decision was made to head for a spike just north east of browns. Arrive at location and dropped some baits to the bottom some 500mtrs or so. Pick up three deep sea perch but that was it so headed of to browns.

Arrived at browns only to find it starting to look like something that resembled a car park at you local grocery store.

On our arrival we seen keepin tabbs heading off down south, drift was set up and down went the baits. This is where my day turns to shit. The drop was made and with in 5 mins of hitting the bottom the boats swings and prop cut threw my 80lb braid. :mad3:

Now with 500mtrs of braid, rig and weight gone. We wait to see what is going to come up on the other rig. Up comes two descent size green eye sharks.

By this time I have set up another reel and rig and we move to set up another drift This time up come some more deep sea perch.

So down again and this time double hook up on the bottom but we do manage to get one off but the other one was not going to give even with persuasion of the 150 yammie and the 2.3 ton boat it was pushing.

After some time had passed doing circle trying to break it free we decide it was not going to budge. With great regrets I reach for the knife and yes you guessed it 500mtrs or more of 120lb braid is now part of the mountain. :mad3::mad3::ranting2:

Now with nearly $1000 dollars worth of gear lost at browns it was time to start heading in. First stop was 12 mile for zip then of to the peak where we come across the trusty old leather jacket With wire jacket rig that my fellow raider had made up we targeted them so a feed could be taken home

After some 30 odd jackets and one mowie we headed of home. Arrived home 9pm

Tally for the day was approx $1000 worth of lost braid and rigs $100 for my share of fuel and no fish to take home as my total catch was three leather jackets, not even worth taking home. All in all bad day on the dollars but great day on the water with the weather being so good.

Sorry it was long and no pics but I think you have all seen leather jackets.

Cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

Bad luck Bob :( . It's the bad days that make the fun days so sweet.

I think Mr Hunter once said there was no future in bottom bashing Browns. Perhaps he was right after all.

Cheers

Red

Red

The thought of bottom bashing browns having no future is only suggested by the ones who have never appreciated the rewards that will come from persistence.

I myself have fished the mountain many times in hope of the blue eye and gemmies. And have lost some expensive gear doing so .

But till today have never caught a blue eye or gemmie. But will keep on trying no matter what the cost.

If the true fisho worried about the cost every time they went out then they should just give up.

As this will always be a set back for them, there will be day when a decision will be made based on cost against passion.

This will be a sad day.

Cheers

Bob

So down again and this time double hook up on the bottom but we do manage to get one off but the other one was not going to give even with persuasion of the 150 yammie and the 2.3 ton boat it was pushing.

After some time had passed doing circle trying to break it free we decide it was not going to budge. With great regrets I reach for the knife and yes you guessed it 500mtrs or more of 120lb braid is now part of the mountain. :mad3::mad3::ranting2:

Hi Bob...

Yes it can be a mongrel to get it to let go if you so happen to snag up on the mountain

more so if you are to use as i do and that been 200lb braid...

but also that's why i incorprate a sacrificial breakaway of 1mtr of 80lb at the sinker

and 1 mtr of 150lb between the braid and the connection of the rig..

if that situation does arise then all you need do is.

tighten up as much of the slack as possible and lock up on the deckwinch and the lifting of the boat in the swell is all that

is required for it to break at where ever it is required to.....and presume that you

incorporate something similar likewise?????...but after reading what you said possibiliy no......

when ever the bottom is to grab it like that normally suggests that you are laying it (the rig) on the bottom with slack line....i think you will find if you just make a slight adjustment in when first making contact when

hitting the bottom by quickly winding it up 10 turns (approx 10 mtrs)

then take up the slack then replace it back down to keep it in contact close to the bottom.... also helping it in being more vertically orientated.... more often than not at this stage is were it get's ripped back out of your hands.....

but this time hopefully it wont be the bottom....so if thats not the way your don't it presently then give that

a shot and see how you go....

Cheers Warnie....

Red

The thought of bottom bashing browns having no future is only suggested by the ones who have never appreciated the rewards that will come from persistence.

I myself have fished the mountain many times in hope of the blue eye and gemmies. And have lost some expensive gear doing so .

Cheers

Bob

Very true Bob. I've been lucky with the deep water bottom bashing. Only tried it on three seperate occasions and came home with the goods with Blue eye to 15kg, Bar cod to 25kg, Gemmies and other unknowns. It's a bloody tough way to fish and easily the least enjoyable form of angling i've experienced.

We were lucky to not have a snag or lose any tackle in these sessions but credit goes to the skipper was quite experienced in this caper and knew where to start his drifts.......coming to think about it, he was just copying Warnie who was out there caning those Blue eyes. This guy is the King of the mountain :biggrin2: ........well he certainly was on that particular day.

Cheers

Red