Bleeding And Cleaning

Hoody

Ok. So I caught this 2.5kg Aussie Salmon off Narrabeen one morning and I bled it straight away by cutting its throat, snapped its backbone and stuck it in the sand head first.

Is this the correct method?

Even after doing all this, its flesh was all bloody and bruised so I couldn’t eat the dam thing anyway. I read that Aussie Salmon aren’t could table fare, but is my bleeding technique right? So I know for other fish.

What you've done sounds fine mate.

The only thing I would suggest is if you have a bucket of water handy then it's ideal for sticking the fish in once you've cut its throat rather than sand, and I would be trying to get it on ice asap, especially with Aussie Salmon.

This can make all the difference with a lot of fish.

Cheers

Tony

I used to throw all my salmon back as I had been told for years they are only good for fish cakes, I then fished with a guy who said they cook up ok if bleed straight away and eaten fresh, alot of people here might disagree with this, (there is also a good chance they like me had just been told they not worth eating and never tried them for themselves) but filleted, crumbed and shallow frying, mayby not the best tasting fish in the ocean but certainly tasty enough.

Anyway next time you catch one try it for yourself, I rarely throw the first one back any more.

Cheers

Ok. So I caught this 2.5kg Aussie Salmon off Narrabeen one morning and I bled it straight away by cutting its throat, snapped its backbone and stuck it in the sand head first.

Is this the correct method?

Even after doing all this, its flesh was all bloody and bruised so I couldn’t eat the dam thing anyway. I read that Aussie Salmon aren’t could table fare, but is my bleeding technique right? So I know for other fish.

G'day all '

I have only ever eaten a few salmon but if you just cut their throat , and put em in half a bucket of water they will pump a lot of blood out . Fillet and skin em and cut all the blood from under the skin ,it makes all the difference . I did this to the last salmon I cooked and it was 100 % better than earlier attempts !

I also put a couple of table spoons of lemonpepper in the bread crumbs . Works good with tailor as well !

Try it !

Cheers , hulafish

G'day Hoody,

The answer could well be ice. Not sure what the weather was like when you were fishing but even on a relatively cool day, the flesh of any fish will deteriorate quickly unless chilled... just like leaving milk out of the fridge. On a warm, sunny day the problems are a lot worse.

If you're stuck with the sand method make sure it's the damp (not wet) sand rather than the powdery stuff. the damp sand underneath is cooler and it's best to bury the damp sand completely (or at least right up to the tail if you're worried about finding it again... I've lost a couple of fish that way). This will at least keep it cool and keep the sun off but get it iced down as soon as you can.

I like Salmon for the table if looked after but it's not worth feeding to your cat if it's not. Tailor are the same in the handling dept. and equally rank if not looked after properly while delicious if treated carefully.

If you're going to ice it down I'd also recommend you make an ice slurry using about 30/70 ice to salt water. Fresh water (the ice as it melts) won't do the fish any favours either and the salt water slurry looks after it much better.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Hoody,

I know the feeling. I never had much luck in eating them either until I learned the tricks.

like everone says, keep it cool and on ice if possible, Water with salt in it stays cooler than fresh water so that is 1 good tip.

I think if you are going to filet it you must cut out all the really red flesh, this part is extra fishy and can spoil the taste. Cut it out from under the skin and along the bones and you should have a much better experience.

If not you can always add the cooked fish to some cold mashed potato (no butter or Milk), an egg, some chopped shallots and onions and I like to throw in some Lemon Thyme and make fish cakes...

If that fails then just have a beer... :beersmile:

Cheers Sunnyboy1

when i was a young chap i used to go fishin with ma grandpa who lives in gladstone qld... we used to catch salmon is this a different type of salmon cause they were good eating so is there diff types for diff waters?

Hi everyone,

I just posted this on another thread regarding salmon as bait and thought I'd get this recipe out there. It's an absolute beauty. Enjoy.

This recipe comes from Charmaine Solomon. It is surprisingly much easier and quicker than it looks. Keep you fresh chillies and ginger in the freezer for use whenver you want. It goes great with skinned bined salmon fillets.

My cleaner at work, Manny, reckons that if you soak salmon in milk for a while it really improves their flavour. I told him that I'd tried yoghurt as in the recipe below and it is GREAT!!!!

Bengal Fish Curry using skinned fillets of Aussie Salmon

500gms fish fillets

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground turmeric

4 dried red chillies

1 tsp chopped fresh ginger

1 cup yoghurt, beaten until smooth

2 tble sp ghee or oil

2 bay leaves

1 onion thinly sliced

4 fresh green chillies split lengthwise

1 tsp garam masala

2 tble sp fresh coriander

Cut fish into large pieces and rub with salt and turmeric. Soak dried chillies in a little very hot water for a few minutes and put into the blender with the ginger and yoghurt. Pour this marinade over the fish and mix to ensure it's all covered.

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the bay leaves, onion and fresh chillies and fry till the onion turns golden brown.

Add the fish and the marinade and sprinkle with garam masala.

Cover and cook gently for ten minutes or so, sprinkle with coriander and serve with rice.

Let me know ehat you reckon.

Cheers,

Koalaboi

G'day Koalaboi...Looks like an nice recipe for the humble

sambo.

Can you do us a favour and copy/paste it into The Kitchen under your name.

Always keen to add to the recipe database.

Cheers,

Pete.

when i was a young chap i used to go fishin with ma grandpa who lives in gladstone qld... we used to catch salmon is this a different type of salmon cause they were good eating so is there diff types for diff waters?

G'day Yep,

Up there, they were either Blue Salmon or Threadfin Salmon. Both unrelated to the poor old Aussie Salmon and yes... very good eating (at least the Threadie is... never eaten a Blue Salmon but they're very closely related)

Cheers, Slinky

cant stress the importance of removing all bloody flesh, my sister doesnt eat fish yet actually enjoyed the fish-nuggets i make from the aussie salmon. Clean all the red bits out, cut into 1inch chunks, batter and fry, i too had been told they taste like poo but with proper preperation (pain in the butt) they arent too bad.