Popper-busting Bream

Hodgey

G'day all

Surprise, surprise, Saturday found Dene and I chucking poppers at bream again. The morning started off very quiet, and even pencils were only generating modest 'lookers'. Decided to shoot waaaaay up into a little estuary that I usually only fish from the bank.

The fish hiding in there were ravenous!! Final count for the day was 15. Five fish under 30cm, and three kept for a feed. The majority of the fish were lurking in heavily (submerged) timbered water, roughly 2 feet from the bank. These fish were very agressive, and were great condition. This poor bloke wore a popper in the eye.

post-3198-1207549546_thumb.jpg

Not to be out done, Dene nailed this nice 37cm model.

post-3198-1207549568_thumb.jpg

Dene's fish hammered the popper, to the extent that it was abruptly filed into the bottom of his tackle bag. Broken trebles and a stretched split ring (on another treble) was too much effort to fix :D This was a great session, with some truly amazing strikes at the popper. Here's hoping we can have another crack at them again next Saturday, with similar success!

Hodgey

Good stuff Hodgey

I will be down the basin this weekend as well hopefully poppering some bream

Do you find some of these poppers are leaking water?

Definitely! :mad3: Unfortunately, I discovered this fact AFTER Dene and I had purchased $100+ worth. I sent some to Roberta and she had the same drama. She was playing around with nail polish to see if she could seal them.

I have noticed that the Sure Bite ones are now appearing in the Sure Catch boxes. Notable differences is that they are supplied with split rings on the towing point, and the red cup is translucent rather than painted. Out of the last 10 I purchased, TWO (2) haven't leaked. I suppose I can't complain when I am only paying $3. My tackle store is currently waiting the arrival of a new batch to see if they are better quality.

Hodgey

Gday Hodgey!!

What a fantastic session!!! Brilliant!! That 37cm of Denes is a beauty! I've had the odd hook from the treble busted off .... but I had been lazy & not upgraded as advised by your humble self!!

Re the leaking lures ..... sounds a bit funny, but, if buying them 'loose' (like Hodgey) just suck on the front & you can tell immediately whether it is compromised or not!! I have put fingernail polish on my leaky ones & only one leaked after that!

Have you told the store owner about the leaking ones, Hodgey? 80% failure is not good!!! Cos the guy at SWR had had a couple returned to him as well for the same reason. The ball bearings go rusty, too! :) At a guess, I'd say that is why they are having trouble re-sourcing them!!

Well done on getting into those nasty tree'd areas where the bream were hiding!!! Accurate casting needed!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Been bucketting with rain here since Sun morning ..... haven't been out :( Guests arriving tomorrow for a week ... not looking good for outings unless I can convince them to try my other 2 yaks!! :) :)

Edited by Roberta

• 3 months later...

Hi Slinky,

Firstly, it needs to be highlighted that this is an old post from Apr. I was using a Rack Raider for my popper work, until I purchased a 1-3kg Strudwick Sic Stik Pro.

Hodgey

Hi Slinky,

Firstly, it needs to be highlighted that this is an old post from Apr. I was using a Rack Raider for my popper work, until I purchased a 1-3kg Strudwick Sic Stik Pro.

Hodgey

Thanks Hodgey,

I've got a 6kg Sic Stik Pro... they're nice rods. Didn't look at the date of the original post (obviously).

Cheers, Slinky