Aussie Salmon For Bait

Jake

Just want to know if Aussie Salmon are that good for bait and what species would you traget with them.

I'm not talking whole little livies but slabs or filletts of the larger salmon. I heard jewies like them off the beach?? But i'm more interested if they are worth using as cut baits in Sydney Harbour, Pittwater etc.

Or do they not even compare to pillies, slimies etc as fish baits???

Thanks

Never waste a salmon.

Tony Soprano was right i did nail an 8kg jewie with a salmon slab awhile back at Long reef on a new moon high tide. Its the one i am holding up in my picture.

I caught the salmon a week before in the harbour and salted it.

On sunday my mate caught a 1m bronzie at Dobroyd with a salmon chunk.

Also if you have a cat they love fresh raw salmon. If i catch a couple of salmon i would bring one home and salt one fillet and feed the other to my kids cats.

Cheers

Thanks guys.

Although i love releasing the big salmon, there is so many of them around these days i wouldn't mind keeping a few for bait.

Do you think bream, trevally, tailor, bonito or even salmon would take a fillet?

You'd probably get tailor and bonnies, not so sure about salmon and bream.

I have heard of 2kg whole salmon being taken by BIG kings in Sydney whilst downrigged. They use them live in NZ.

Hey,

Salmon are pretty good on the tooth too you know...the secret's the prep and cooking:

skin and fillet the flesh and then roll in flour, dip in beaten egg and coat in crushed weet bix (the blender crushes the weet bix really well),

Shallow fry in Xtra Virgin olive oil and you're on a winner.

BUT the best is to curry them...I'll post the recipe later tonight.

I know salmon can be awful...try baking them whole in the oven, worse than cat food.

Another mate cooks, shreds the meat the does Thai fish balls.

Koalaboi

Just want to know if Aussie Salmon are that good for bait and what species would you traget with them.

I'm not talking whole little livies but slabs or filletts of the larger salmon. I heard jewies like them off the beach?? But i'm more interested if they are worth using as cut baits in Sydney Harbour, Pittwater etc.

Or do they not even compare to pillies, slimies etc as fish baits???

Thanks

In NZ on the charter boats, one of their favourite baits is a chunk of salmon and dont snapper love it.

So yes salmon is a good bait.

Hi everyone,

This recipe comes from Charmaine Solomon. It is surprisingly much easier and quicker than it looks. Keep you fresh chillies and ginger in the freezer for use whenver you want. It goes great with skinned bined salmon fillets.

My cleaner at work, Manny, reckons that if you soak salmon in milk for a while it really improves their flavour. I told him that I'd tried yoghurt as in the recipe below and it is GREAT!!!!

Bengal Fish Curry using skinned fillets of Aussie Salmon

500gms fish fillets

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground turmeric

4 dried red chillies

1 tsp chopped fresh ginger

1 cup yoghurt, beaten until smooth

2 tble sp ghee or oil

2 bay leaves

1 onion thinly sliced

4 fresh green chillies split lengthwise

1 tsp garam masala

2 tble sp fresh coriander

Cut fish into large pieces and rub with salt and turmeric. Soak dried chillies in a little very hot water for a few minutes and put into the blender with the ginger and yoghurt. Pour this marinade over the fish and mix to ensure it's all covered.

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the bay leaves, onion and fresh chillies and fry till the onion turns golden brown.

Add the fish and the marinade and sprinkle with garam masala.

Cover and cook gently for ten minutes or so, sprinkle with coriander and serve with rice.

Let me know ehat you reckon.

Cheers,

Koalaboi

Do you think bream, trevally, tailor, bonito or even salmon would take a fillet?

A fresh strip of any blood fish will get smashed by bream. A bit of trev, salmon, mullet etc that has been just caught is a brilliant bream bait. They eat everything from oysters, nippers and crabs through to poddies and whitebait.

Dave