Fish Curry

Koalaboi

Hi everyone,

I just posted this on another thread regarding salmon as bait and have followed Mallacoota Pete's suggestion to place the recipe in the kitchen. It's an absolute beauty. Enjoy.

This recipe comes from Charmaine Solomon. It is surprisingly much easier and quicker than it looks. Keep your fresh chillies and ginger in the freezer for use whenever you want. It works really with skinned, boned, Aussie salmon fillets.

My cleaner at work, Manny, reckons that if you soak salmon in milk for a while it really improves their flavour. I told him that I'd tried yoghurt as in the recipe below and it is GREAT!!!!

I've also used this with skinned boned blackfish fillets too.

Bengal Fish Curry using skinned fillets of Aussie Salmon

500gms fish fillets

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground turmeric

4 dried red chillies

1 tsp chopped fresh ginger

1 cup yoghurt, beaten until smooth

2 tble sp ghee or oil

2 bay leaves

1 onion thinly sliced

4 fresh green chillies split lengthwise

1 tsp garam masala

2 tble sp fresh coriander leaves

Cut fish into large pieces and rub with salt and turmeric. Soak dried chillies in a little very hot water for a few minutes and put into the blender with the ginger and yoghurt. Pour this marinade over the fish and mix to ensure it's all covered.

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the bay leaves, onion and fresh chillies and fry till the onion turns golden brown.

Add the fish and the marinade and sprinkle with garam masala.

Cover and cook gently for ten minutes or till ready, sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve with rice.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Koalaboi

Hi,

Thanks for the great feedback Ritchie (sorry about the pun in the kitchen but it was there!) BUT! Yoghurt is the authentic ingredient, it's widely used in Indian cuisine, especially from inland and northern parts of India. Coconut milk, which I love, is very common in recipes from coastal and southern India.

I don't know if this combination of spices would work with coconut milk, usually, the hotter the climate (coastal and southern) the hotter the curry...to stimulate appetites is the reasoning I've read. Having lived on a fairly remote island off he coast of PNG for a couple of years, I can vouch for the fact that in tropical coastal heat with no electric fans or air conditioning, the old appetite does slow up a lot.

I only added this one because it's a bit unusual, is surprisingly easy and quick, and works well with salmon.

Also, with cholesterol and saturated fat issues, yoghurt is a far more heart friendly option than coconut milk. One good option as a substitute for cocnut milk is the evaporated milk with coconut flavour in it, available from supermarkets. Add it just before serving as it can curdle if cooked too long especially with any acid in the curry (eg lemon/lime juice or vinegar).

Cheers,

Koalaboi