Long Tail Tuna In Tin Can Bay Inlet

Chappo

G'day fishraiders,

Just recently returned from 5 nights on a house boat at Tin Can Bay Inlet, Queensland. Three of us drove from Sydney, towing a 4.1 Dory with a 30hp Yamaha as the tender. We arrived at Rainbow Beach to pick up the houseboat. What a place! Beautiful and worth the trip alone. The next 5 days included catching mudcrabs, blueswimmers and general estuary/creek fishing for some mixed bags.

The highlight of the trip however was towing some skirted Jethead lures up the inlet off the back of the houseboat, north of Inskip point. Skets overhead screamed from the back while we were all up front trying to work out how to tie up muddies without losing our toes and fingers! Sket just got to his rig before being spooled. The motors were thrown into neutral and sketto struck hard with the drag locked up and into a decent fish. We all suspected this to be a decent Mack Tuna as we had been chasing them about the bay in the tinnie the previous day without any luck. About ten minutes later sketto landed his first Long Tail Tuna. (Probably around 18 Pounds. We only had scales that went to 15 pounds and it made that mark easy.)

I know originally we reported it as a Yellowfin, but we been rightly corrected. Also we orignally thought the scales were in kilos, so we've been thinking it was 18 kiolos. Not so, our mates scales must in pounds.

Still a great week had by all. Apologies for inaccuracies on the original report but we are not Tuna chasing guys! Time to buy some of my own scales!

Chappo

post-1767-1208173144_thumb.jpg

post-1767-1208172859_thumb.jpg

post-1767-1208173437_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chappo

Yeh i think it looks more like a long tail,

an 18kg yellowfin would probably be a bit stubbier than that and you'd be able to notice the prolific yellow pectoral fins.

Nice fish anyway, how strong was the gear you caught it on?

That's a nice longtail tuna you caught there mate,they fight hard & taste pretty good if you cook them up

when there fresh.looks like a great place to go!

Got a couple of photo's here of a longtail & a yellowfin tuna i caught,you will see the difference here a bit

easier.

Cheers

Steve

post-4166-1208201212_thumb.jpg

post-4166-1208201237_thumb.jpg

Edited by nexus

That's a nice longtail tuna you caught there mate,they fight hard & taste pretty good if you cook them up

when there fresh.looks like a great place to go!

Got a couple of photo's here of a longtail & a yellowfin tuna i caught,you will see the difference here a bit

easier.

Cheers

Steve

Yeah. Definately a longtail tuna. It tasted great! Thanks for the pics. They are good fish

I agree, definately a longtail tuna. Having never caught a yellowfin before the small serated fins on the top and bottom of the fish being yellow misled us to believe it was a yellow fin. Anyway it tasted great, plenty of sashimi with wasabi & soy. It was caught on 15 Kg mono line. Chappo I think that black/dark blue bream you caught was a pikey bream.

post-7354-1208219610_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sketo

G'day Chappo.

Life just doesn't get any better than that! I was up that way same time last year and saw heaps of schools of tuna smashing the surface all over inskip point on the ferry to fraser island. Forgot to pack the rod and was kicking myself all day. Wife had to mop up the drool :wacko:

Isn't rainbow beach one of the best looking beaches in the world?

Cheers,

Roy.

Better than being underdone Phar Cue

come on Phar Cue.....that fish is heaps closer to 8kg than 1.5kg....

be fair mate..

good onya for getting your first bluefin mate. It's a shame it would have burnt most its energy before you got to set the hook.

G'day Roy,

I'll be taking the kids when they get a bit older for sure. The inlet was a hard place to sus out as to what type of fishing to do and when. There were heaps of options. We tried our hand up a creek for Mangrove Jacks but only got bream. The local fish pro reckons the creek we were in was full of Jacks and to burley up and use fresh fish strips. Did all that but no Jacks. A guide giving us a few tips wouldn't have gone astray. It wasn't until we dropped the houseboat back that we found out we could have been picked up off the house boat near the channell at Inskip Point by the local Fishing Charter and taken out off shore for $200 each for the day. That would capped off the trip. Next time. Chappo

G'day Chappo.

Life just doesn't get any better than that! I was up that way same time last year and saw heaps of schools of tuna smashing the surface all over inskip point on the ferry to fraser island. Forgot to pack the rod and was kicking myself all day. Wife had to mop up the drool :wacko:

Isn't rainbow beach one of the best looking beaches in the world?

Cheers,

Roy.

G'day Roy,

I'll be taking the kids when they get a bit older for sure. The inlet was a hard place to sus out as to what type of fishing to do and when. There were heaps of options. We tried our hand up a creek for Mangrove Jacks but only got bream. The local fish pro reckons the creek we were in was full of Jacks and to burley up and use fresh fish strips. Did all that but no Jacks. A guide giving us a few tips wouldn't have gone astray. It wasn't until we dropped the houseboat back that we found out we could have been picked up off the house boat near the channell at Inskip Point by the local Fishing Charter and taken out off shore for $200 each for the day. That would capped off the trip. Next time. Chappo

happy you boys got a fish and had a good trip.........but that fish isn't 18kgs, think you have your pounds and KG mixed up.

Yeah, for sure. Our mate told us his scales wnet up to 14 kilos, but I think he meant pounds!

Chappo

happy you boys got a fish and had a good trip.........but that fish isn't 18kgs, think you have your pounds and KG mixed up.

Graz, the the scales we used on the trip were a very cheap pair of hanging spring type scales with a maximum of 14 Kgs. This fish easily hit the bottom mark of 14 Kgs so we estimated the fish to weigh 18 Kgs. After filleting and skinning the tuna I weighed my half on accurate kitchen scales and ended up with 6 Kgs of flesh. Chappo took the other side so that makes a total of 12 Kgs of fillets. I think 18 Kgs is much closer to the mark than your estimated 8Kgs.

Graz, the the scales we used on the trip were a very cheap pair of hanging spring type scales with a maximum of 14 Kgs. This fish easily hit the bottom mark of 14 Kgs so we estimated the fish to weigh 18 Kgs. After filleting and skinning the tuna I weighed my half on accurate kitchen scales and ended up with 6 Kgs of flesh. Chappo took the other side so that makes a total of 12 Kgs of fillets. I think 18 Kgs is much closer to the mark than your estimated 8Kgs.

i hear what your saying about your scales and understand how you got to your conclusion but i have serious doubts that fish is 18 kg's, i think it's much closer to 8, maybe 10 kg.

check out my mates longtail pic....it went 15.6kg on registered certified scales, yes he's a smaller guy...but he's not a midget. I'll let you be the judge.

IMG_0516.jpg

Edited by Graz

GRAZ: "i hear what your saying about your scales and understand how you got to your conclusion but i have serious doubts that fish is 18 kg's, i think it's much closer to 8, maybe 10 kg."

I hear what your saying Graz but even 8kgs is being optomistic. Maybe 3 kgs.... :1prop:

Edited by Phar Cue

Listen you lot :ranting2: Its a Longtail Tuna and its under 8kgs no doubt,what is all the fuss about ??

A small error was made and some are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill :thumbdown:

DONT BOTHER

Swordfisherman (Admin)

Listen you lot :ranting2: Its a Longtail Tuna and its under 8kgs no doubt,what is all the fuss about ??

A small error was made and some are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill :thumbdown:

DONT BOTHER

Swordfisherman (Admin)

healthy debate mate.....no mole hill.

if these guys dosen't realize their scales are RS and are overcalling fish then he'll never know any different.

healthy debate mate.....no mole hill.

if these guys dosen't realize their scales are RS and are overcalling fish then he'll never know any different.

How many times do you need to say that the scales were read inaccurately ???

Leave it at that.

Regards Swordfisherman