High Speed Spinning Threadline Or Overhead.

Scon

Hi,

I am interested and i would like to know who would prefer to spin with a threadline, and who would prefer to spin with a overhead off the rocks for Tuna both Longtails and Yellowfin and Spanish Mackerel??

has anyone switched over from spinning with a threadline to a overhead, for those who have is it best spinning off the rocks for the above mentioned species off all size's with a threadline or a overhead??

all info and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Personally i'd prefer to use a thredline reel for all my spinning...for larger species like you have listed i'd probably go with a shimano spheros 14000fa.

Id prefer to use a thredline simply for the fact i hate over runs on overhead styled reels...but im sure if you know how to work an overhead reel properly someone could suggest a good reel.

cheers james

I spin with both. If you want versatility and be able to cast minnows like xraps etc, then threadlines work best. If you are casting metals lures like raiders/snipers then I find overhead best. The other thing to take into account is the capacity of your reels and making sure you have enough line for big runs. If you are using braid backing, then you usually can fit a fair bit more line on than if you were just using mono.

Edited by caranx

Not that I spin form the rocks but, I find overheads a pain in the ass. I do all my fishing with a threadline.

The technology available now in threadlines (drag pressures, spool capacity, gearing etc) is awesome and has really brought them a long way since the days of the cumbersome clunky heaps of rust which adorned 1970's Butterworth rods held by blokes in tight stubbies drinking KB out of a steel can! :1prop:

Edited by Ceph

like you i wanted to give spinning with overhead a go, so i invested in an overhead combo last year to spin off the rocks as i heard you get more casting distance. at the end of the day, i'm always using my spinning outfit due to its more practical (for me) - no backlash and i'm happy with my spinning casting distance. as mentioned before by ceph, there great spinning reels out there that will give you good drag and good casting distance. i'm these days using a daiwa capricorn with 20lb mono with a 10 ft spinfisher rod. a real pleasure to rock spin for salmon, tailor and bonitos. if you targetting big kings or tuna, then you propably need to upgrade reel and line.

cheers

bertrand

Personally i'd prefer to use a thredline reel for all my spinning...for larger species like you have listed i'd probably go with a shimano spheros 14000fa.

Id prefer to use a thredline simply for the fact i hate over runs on overhead styled reels...but im sure if you know how to work an overhead reel properly someone could suggest a good reel.

cheers james

iv got 2 for sale in swap and sell if any ones interested :thumbup:

Overheads may take some getting used to , but find one that has cast control, or mag control and it will be a lot easier. I spin a lot with eggbeaters off the rocks, but for comfort overheads are better over the course of a day of casting for me. If you are fishing 10kg line, you need to make sure that your reel has the capacity. In overhead look at daiwa SL30 or 50SH series, shimano toriums, trinidads, or penn 525 reels. Otherwise, have a look at an emblem pro - good capacity , very high speed retrieve and a proper casting spool. Compare the spool design to a spheros and you will see why.

Forgot to mention, spheros type reels, penn spinfishers etc are slow ratios...4.8:1. Its usually preferable to have a reel for spinning with a high ratio of 5.8:1 or higher eg 6:1.

For big fish like that I would go for an overhead. They are not that hard to master and you will actually enjoy casting with them when you become proficient. With heavy lures/ lines you will get more distance with an overhead. Also line capacity will be crucial off the rocks and the overheads have the edge in this department.

what if you wanted to be able to cast the following for Longtail Tuna off all size's, Yellowfin Tuna to 20kg's and big Spanish Mackerel, from 60-85gram metal lure's through to cotton cordell skipping poppers through to halco bibless minnows, what would it be best going with out of a threadline or a overhead??

what would be the smallest through to the biggest size lure's you would use with 10kg and 15kg mainline off the rocks??

Out of those lures, on the cotton cordell is light. The halco bibless also weighs in a 80 gram . Lure size really depends on the size of the baitfish. So you might use something like 50g snipers up to 125g raiders. Depends on what your rod is rated too. Finding a rod that can do up to 85 grams is ok, but finding one to do 50-125 isnt too easy. You could easily cast a cordell though on the right size overhead. If you pick something like a SL30SH or some variant in that size, back with braid and top shot with mono for 100m - you would be able to cast both.

In terms of threadline or overhead - how good are you with an overhead? If you see a target can you fire out a cast quickly with an overhead ? The downside to overheads is backlash, the downside to threadlines is windknots. You need to work out how much line you need and if that will be braid or mono to work out which reel will have the high speed for you and capacity for a long run.

Out of those lures, on the cotton cordell is light. The halco bibless also weighs in a 80 gram . Lure size really depends on the size of the baitfish. So you might use something like 50g snipers up to 125g raiders. Depends on what your rod is rated too. Finding a rod that can do up to 85 grams is ok, but finding one to do 50-125 isnt too easy. You could easily cast a cordell though on the right size overhead. If you pick something like a SL30SH or some variant in that size, back with braid and top shot with mono for 100m - you would be able to cast both.

In terms of threadline or overhead - how good are you with an overhead? If you see a target can you fire out a cast quickly with an overhead ? The downside to overheads is backlash, the downside to threadlines is windknots. You need to work out how much line you need and if that will be braid or mono to work out which reel will have the high speed for you and capacity for a long run.

I have not used a overhead yet but if i do switch over from threadline to overhead, i am and i will be more then keen to get right into it. can you cast bibless minnows on a overhead?

Not that I spin form the rocks but, I find overheads a pain in the ass. I do all my fishing with a threadline.

The technology available now in threadlines (drag pressures, spool capacity, gearing etc) is awesome and has really brought them a long way since the days of the cumbersome clunky heaps of rust which adorned 1970's Butterworth rods held by blokes in tight stubbies drinking KB out of a steel can! :1prop:

I didn't know Reg Reagan fished? :1prop::1prop:

You can cast anything you want with an overhead, you just need to have a balanced rig. I wouldnt try casting light lures with a torium 30, but if you were using a torium 16 or 20 then you could easily. Depends on spool size of the reel and the type of rod you are using. A rod with some tip action will let you cast out lighter lures, but restrict more on the heavy stuff.

By bibless lures, are you talking the new halco max lures..if you are using them you wont have a problem.

And if you havent used overhead before, you should get in some practice at a local beach or park before hitting the stones as it will be frustrating to get a birdnests first cast out.

All good comments, not much else to add.

If you've used overheads before then you should be ok distance casting with them. Just remember you will need to punch out weights quite a way. If your casting into wind, then the light lures may be a concern.

If tuna and macks are what your chasing, then spool capacity may be important.

Overheads for capacity, threadlines for versatility and ease.

Also the weight of something like the Sphero's 14000 is getting pretty heavy for continuous casting. I have one and have done some all day popper casting sessions and you do feel the weight.

Reckon those new Halco Max's would work a treat...especially in the yellowfin colour!

Cheers Dave