Jewies In The Dirty Water

cpanag

Hey all,

With all this rain and dirty water about I'm thinking of going after any jewies that may be about. Just after a bit of advice if anyone has any about where would be the best place to look for them. I want to have a go at them with SP's but in this dirty water would it be best to use weighted jigheads or use stick baits, keeping the lures up closer to the surface?

I'm shore based and thinking of finding a spot with some structure, maybe one of the bridges such as Roseville. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

In general I beleive sp's outfish hardbody lures for jew. The one exception is when the water is dirty & muddy & during flood. During these times a big, loud rattling hardbody is the go.

Try a gold or mullet pattern bomber long a. There are plenty of others that work as well.

Roseville would be well worth a shot, as would anywhere the entrance of a lake or river meets the ocean.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Grant.

G'day,

Jewies dont mind the dirty water.

Jewhunters advice sounds good.

Last july when we had huge downpours in Middle Harbour i was fishing the bottom and the water was coffee coloured.

Heaps of shit floating past like stormwater rubbish trees and even dead animals.

I was watching this like raft of rubbish float past the boat when all of a sudden something underneath the raft of rubbish starting smashing up around the surface.

It was a huge jewie attacking bait fish hiding under the rubbish.

I could see his paddle and top fins that were all flared up in attack mode.

It was pretty cool to watch.

I was all rigged for the bottom and had no lures.

I prefer it when the worst of the dirty water is over and it is starting to clear a bit. I fish deep holes in MH and when dirty stick a yakka down or use smelly slab baits. Old stinky bait is good.

Another option in MH is when the tide is pushing in look for the zone where there is clear and dirty water. Flick lures through the dirty zone into clear. Some big ambush predators feed in that zone.

I am going to hit MH for jewies through this week. Roseville would be a good option at the moment.

Try the water bridge pylon. The second one has a bit of a hole from memory.

Cheers