Middle Harbour Kings Tuesday

adkel53

Been a member for a while now so thought I'd post my first report.

Ignored the weather forcsast and set off on the hour long drive to Tunks Park at 4.45 am. Have had limited opportunities to fish for kings this year and needed to have my arms stretched. Planned to fish Middle Harbour to stay out of the wind but have little knowledge of the kingie spots in there as have confined my kingie fishing to the main harbour, usually throwing soft plastics at structure but occasionally baitfishing with squid/livies.

Pouring rain when I arrived at the ramp (no other boats already out) but it stopped and I set off to catch livies and squid. No success at The Spit (does one need bigger and heavier squid jigs there?), nor at Balmoral Island, which was copping the wind and difficult to fish. Nailed a good squid at the 'clothes frowned on' beach near there, but no luck along the shoreline out to Middle Head. Too windy and rough to go any further so set off upstream with my single squid. Tried the north side of Pickering Point for zero and then headed up to Roseville for a coffee and to spin for lizards. Coffee shop closed and the water coffee coloured due to runoff so that was a waste of time.

By now the wind was against the runout tide so headed back to Quakers Hat Bay where I could fish in some comfort. The squid strips that I had an the heavier gear were destroyed by pickers so sent one out unweigted on a 3-6 kg rod with 6lb diameter fireline and a 20 lb leader. After about 5 minutes the reel is screaming and a severe curve in the rod. Fought him for several minutes before the leader parted just above the hook. Re-rigged and sent the guts out. Lasted about 2 minutes. This time I felt the leader rub on the bottom after a similar fight so two to the kingies, none to me. Last available fresh bait was the two small pieces of tenticle I had left. Out they went and again hammered. This time I managed to net a 70 cm model. He had at least one companion of similar size. Tried some peeled prawns which I had taken along and some shop bought squid-no more hits though. Obviously I will need to work on my squid catching as fresh bait seems to be imperative. Will also have to try and find some other locations that hold kings in Middle Harbour.

The rain stayed away and I had a top morning and hopefully learned a thing or two for the future.

Cheers

Kel

Edited by kel

Been a member for a while now so thought I'd post my first report.

Ignored the weather forcsast and set off on the hour long drive to Tunks Park at 4.45 am. Have had limited opportunities to fish for kings this year and needed to have my arms stretched. Planned to fish Middle Harbour to stay out of the wind but have little knowledge of the kingie spots in there as have confined my kingie fishing to the main harbour, usually throwing soft plastics at structure but occasionally baitfishing with squid/livies.

Pouring rain when I arrived at the ramp (no other boats already out) but it stopped and I set off to catch livies and squid. No success at The Spit (does one need bigger and heavier squid jigs there?), nor at Balmoral Island, which was copping the wind and difficult to fish. Nailed a good squid at the 'clothes frowned on' beach near there, but no luck along the shoreline out to Middle Head. Too windy and rough to go any further so set off upstream with my single sqiuid. Tried the north side of Pickering Point for zero and then headed up to Roseville for a coffee and to spin for lizards. Coffee shop closed and the water coffee coloured due to runoff so that was a waste of time.

By now the wind was against the runout tide so headed back to Quakers Hat Bay where I could fish in some comfort. The squid strips that I had an the heavier gear were destroyed by pickers so sent one out unweigted on a 3-6 kg rod with 6lb diameter fireline and a 20 lb leader. After about 5 minutes the reel is screaming and a severe curve in the rod. Fought him for several minutes before the leader parted just above the hook. Re-rigged and sent the guts out. Lasted about 2 minutes. This time I felt the leader rub on the bottom after a similar fight so two to the kingies, none to me. Last available fresh bait was the two small pieces of tenticle I had left. Out they went and again hammered. This time I managed to net a 70 cm model. He had at least one companion of similar size. Tried some peeled prawns which I had taken along and some shop bought squid-no more hits though. Obviously I will need to work on my squid catching as fresh bait seems to be imperative. Will also have to try and find some other locations that hold kings in Middle Harbour.

The rain stayed away and I had a top morning and hopefully learned a thing or two for the future.

Cheers

Kel

well done kel,

welcome to the site,hope the fishing gets better for all of us.

Good try Kel, an experience to remember for next time. No squid in the open is the shot for going out of the wind and a sheltered spot where there are little pickers was the way to go also.

Nice first fishing report Kel.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Kel :1welcomeani:

Great first report.

Sorry to hear that the weather :1badmood: was crap but at least you where out there.

Your efforts and persistence have rewarded you with at least one kingie in the boat :thumbup: and a few near misses.

There is no better sound or sight than a rod buckling over and the reel sing that favorite tune zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It some how just makes the crappy weather disappears for those brief moments

Hope to see more of your :1fishing1: adventure’s here on fishraiders in the near future and don’t forget some pick’s as well

Cheers

Bob