Habour Is Tailorrific...

klainz

Hi Raiders,

been hitting the water a fair bit recently (time off work) mainly checking out new spots and gaining 'time on water'. Hit a wharf pre-dawn today eastside of the harbour bridge (is that narrowed down enough? It was not CG or Balmoral or the Spit bridge platform!) to get some yakkas (a new livebait wharf for me) to hit a rockbased spot that can be good to livebait off (that's relatively safe in these southerlies!). Whilst at the wharf, I had my live bait rod already rigged up from a previous session so decided to throw a yakka out whilst trying to catch his mates. I had never even baitfished off this wharf before so my hopes were not high.

There's no sweeter sound than the drag of the biggest reel you own zinging unmistakably. I was actually too stunned to react for a second then picked up the rod and pulled in a solid tailor. The biggest tailor I've caught in the harbour for over 5 years, possibly my biggest ever in the harbour. They used to be more prolific but their numbers and size seemed to have dwindled over the last 10 years. Have other guys found this?

Debated for a moment whether to throw out my only other yakka or save it for the other spot but decided to use it. Threw it out (lightly weighted on the bottom) and went back to trying to catch more bait when the drag sings again. Couldn't believe it! I could guess it was a bigger fish just from the intensity of the zing and when I picked up the rod it felt like a heavier fish. I half thought - 'could it be my first real jew?' (as I do whenever I hook any solid fish bottombashing - it's like a reflex thought I get!) After a few nightime aerials thrown in, my PB harbour tailor was landed. Went 53cm.

post-7134-1209002945_thumb.jpg

They definitely don't fight as hard as a salmon of the same size but the taste of their fresh fillets makes up for this!

Never caught tailor on live yakkas before. Felt like I was on a roll so tossed out a old piece of squid that got nailed by the classic pre-dawn 30cm bream. He went back in. Couldn't get anymore yakkas so quit, but more than satisfied.

Decided to bypass the intended spot and had a look at a couple of other harbour wharf spots instead - guys also had had similar luck with solid tailor in their buckets.

Could solid tailor be back on in the harbour? (accessible to us landbased folk anyway!)

Hi Raiders,

been hitting the water a fair bit recently (time off work) mainly checking out new spots and gaining 'time on water'. Hit a wharf pre-dawn today eastside of the harbour bridge (is that narrowed down enough? It was not CG or Balmoral or the Spit bridge platform!) to get some yakkas (a new livebait wharf for me) to hit a rockbased spot that can be good to livebait off (that's relatively safe in these southerlies!). Whilst at the wharf, I had my live bait rod already rigged up from a previous session so decided to throw a yakka out whilst trying to catch his mates. I had never even baitfished off this wharf before so my hopes were not high.

There's no sweeter sound than the drag of the biggest reel you own zinging unmistakably. I was actually too stunned to react for a second then picked up the rod and pulled in a solid tailor. The biggest tailor I've caught in the harbour for over 5 years, possibly my biggest ever in the harbour. They used to be more prolific but their numbers and size seemed to have dwindled over the last 10 years. Have other guys found this?

Debated for a moment whether to throw out my only other yakka or save it for the other spot but decided to use it. Threw it out (lightly weighted on the bottom) and went back to trying to catch more bait when the drag sings again. Couldn't believe it! I could guess it was a bigger fish just from the intensity of the zing and when I picked up the rod it felt like a heavier fish. I half thought - 'could it be my first real jew?' (as I do whenever I hook any solid fish bottombashing - it's like a reflex thought I get!) After a few nightime aerials thrown in, my PB harbour tailor was landed. Went 53cm.

They definitely don't fight as hard as a salmon of the same size but the taste of their fresh fillets makes up for this!

Never caught tailor on live yakkas before. Felt like I was on a roll so tossed out a old piece of squid that got nailed by the classic pre-dawn 30cm bream. He went back in. Couldn't get anymore yakkas so quit, but more than satisfied.

Decided to bypass the intended spot and had a look at a couple of other harbour wharf spots instead - guys also had had similar luck with solid tailor in their buckets.

Could solid tailor be back on in the harbour? (accessible to us landbased folk anyway!)

COUPLA NICE GREENBACKS THERE MATE WELL DONE. THEY ARE SUPERLATIVE SMOKED TOO BY THE WAY!!!

Hi Raiders,

i remember 15 years agos when i was younger my cousins would take

me fishing at campcove off the rocks for tailor in the harbour.with out failure

we would always catch heapss of fish,fishing with a floating pillie under a green starlite.

we would always go home with heaps of fish and release twice as many.what a sight it was when under a full moon u could see the tailor busting up the water attacking bait fish,now days when i go back to the same spot we dont catch as many or as often some times no fish at all,back then that would never happen.

so i say yes the tailor population has diminished alot in the last 10-15 years,lets hope it can get back to what it was,nad the fish werent choppers they were all 30cm plus green backs

cheers jay

I won't say where but I was chasing tailor yesterday off the ocean rocks and had one followed in to my feet by a metre + kingfish. The kingie just sat right there - in a metre of water or so - nosing the tailor as I tried to extract it on light line.

Bloody awesome sight - my point being that the tailor schools are around at the moment and are obviously being shadowed by some serious predators.

On the few occasions that I have caught Jewies ( only in Pittwater) they have been preceded by a lot of tailor activity. Is it normal for jewies to hang under feeding tailor to pick up the scraps, or is it just coincidence / imagination that this has happened to me every time?

My jewies were caught pretty much right under the tailor schools and we were rigged with bottom bashers, not surface lures.

Anybody else noticed this?

Tuffy