Watsons Leaping Bonito

skramp_84

Hi all. Got onto one of my ledges over the weekend for a live baiting session. Managed a pool full of yakka's in good enough time. Trouble was, every yakka was getting nailed by Watsons leaping bonnies. I eventually got some more appealing fish but they were few and far between amongst the WLB's.

Is there anyone that could explain to me a little something about this fish? Do they migrate down the coast at this time of year and do they travel with other fish? What's going on, I have never seen so many!

They do come down around this time of year, we've normally seen the first signs of them in the harbour around late march, so perhaps a bit later this year. They follow the warm water down with other fish like samsons, cobia, spotted mackeral and frigates.

Cheers

Josh

Cheers guys. I was thinking that they might have been traveling down the coast as they were in such numbers and I hadn't seen any in previous weeks.

I had one out as a livie but, unfortunately, no takers.

I have eaten them before too and they weren't too bad but on this occasion I was after larger fry.

That's promising to hear that they travel with cobes and frigates. :thumbup:

Cheers guys. I was thinking that they might have been traveling down the coast as they were in such numbers and I hadn't seen any in previous weeks.

I had one out as a livie but, unfortunately, no takers.

I have eaten them before too and they weren't too bad but on this occasion I was after larger fry.

That's promising to hear that they travel with cobes and frigates. :thumbup:

I don't know that they come down as in like schools of different fish together, but they do all seem to turn up around the same time. Nice to get some more variety in the harbour

surprised you didn't get any normal bonnies as they are usually together

I've found in previous years that the normal bonnies tend to come in earlier than the watsons leaping ones. We get a lot in January usually and i think they stay through until around the same time as the other pelagics.