Central Coast Beach Fishing

bunney10

Hi Fellow fishianodo's

Still quite new to this beach fishing lark and was wondering what are the best beaches to fish for pelargics

around the central coast and what are the best times of the tide to fish for them, any tips will be much appreciated

Hi,

I went down tonight and got 2 tailor and a flathead in 1 hour from Wamberal. It was a good tide, and I think there would definantly be fish on from about 4pm tomorow arvo. A simple pilly or gar on gang hooks will sort you out. I suspect there were bream there too.

North Entrance fishes well apparently but I always think its too crowded. Its just a matter of fishing the tides around a low light scenario.

The Poacher

Plenty of small/under flatties on the sand flats on Ettalong beach. Always good around dusk, if the current is too strong to fish in the channel try dropping in short on the inside of the flats on the Umina side. Anything bigger am not sure, but have seen people chucking whole pillies into the deep channel, they must be catching something?

Good luck :1fishing1:

alasdair

Hi Fellow fishianodo's

Still quite new to this beach fishing lark and was wondering what are the best beaches to fish for pelargics

around the central coast and what are the best times of the tide to fish for them, any tips will be much appreciated

Thanks Poacher might give it a go this arvo as i only live in Terrigal, i've had a small flatty from there before but nothing else, where abouts on the beach near the lagoon or back towards the old surf club?

Plenty of small/under flatties on the sand flats on Ettalong beach. Always good around dusk, if the current is too strong to fish in the channel try dropping in short on the inside of the flats on the Umina side. Anything bigger am not sure, but have seen people chucking whole pillies into the deep channel, they must be catching something?

Good luck :1fishing1:

alasdair

Thanks Alasdair,

I've never fished around Ettalong and Umina but i know a few blokes from work that do and they said they often get good flatties

Will have to get out there and give it a go

tight lines mate

bunney10

Hi Bunney 10,

The general rule I apply is that if the sea's are big fish the Terrigal end (but never right in Terrigal, only from Terrigal lagoon north), and if the sea's are small fish the other end up near the Wamberal Surf Club.

Thats a pretty general rule as the bext formations are sometimes in the middle. There are 3 entry points and I use all three at different times.

It can be a little difficult to find deep enough water on a dead low sometimes, but apart from that I find it very reliable, not to mention handy.

Interestingly enough the tailor started right from about 4.15 yesterday in broad daylight which is unusual, Normally they appear on dark regardless of the tide.

The Poacher

Hi Bunney 10,

The general rule I apply is that if the sea's are big fish the Terrigal end (but never right in Terrigal, only from Terrigal lagoon north), and if the sea's are small fish the other end up near the Wamberal Surf Club.

Thats a pretty general rule as the bext formations are sometimes in the middle. There are 3 entry points and I use all three at different times.

It can be a little difficult to find deep enough water on a dead low sometimes, but apart from that I find it very reliable, not to mention handy.

Interestingly enough the tailor started right from about 4.15 yesterday in broad daylight which is unusual, Normally they appear on dark regardless of the tide.

The Poacher

Thanks for the good info Poacher, i had a go this afternoon, tried all the way up to Forresters but no jot then fished 50mts north of the lagoon, had 3 bites in 3 casts and finally hooked a tailor before i had to pack up,the waves were a bit high and he took right in the wash and when i gutted him at home he was full to the gills with 2 inch fry, looks like everyone else had read your post as there were about 10 other fisho's around the markers you have mentioned, ive been up here 2 years and its only now that i am finding out where and how to fish these beaches which is why i haven't had much luck in the past, so thanks to Fishraider and also to you mate ( if you have any tips on fishing for Bream and set ups etc then i would love to know what they are its much better to learn from tried and tested methods than magazine articles )

tight lines

Steve

Hey there Steve i will be coming down that way on Tuesday the 6th for 3 nights to fish the beaches around that way, i might give Budgewoi beach a try for a jewie and maybe even down your way as well, depends on where the tailor are thick i guess, i will give freddy's fishing world a tingle and see what happens from there.

Gday guys,

any salmon starting to show up in the surf yet?

we had a ball last season with them on light gear!

Cheers

Davy

Hi Davy

a surfer told me yesterday that there was a huge shool of slamon on the southern end of Forresters beach, i had a go but didnt get any hits , so i might have another crack later today

good luck mate

steve

G'day,

I hit Budgewoi beach last night.

There is a few sambos starting to show up, not in any huge numbers yet though. Give them a few weeks, and with any luck they will show up in the numbers that turned up last year :thumbup:

Also a few avererage tailor made an apperance, but only to around half a kilo.

We got a few hits on ganged pillies, but the best and most frequent hits came to squid baits.

Just keep that sand between your toes and the fish will come

Good luck

Dan

Hi Davy

a surfer told me yesterday that there was a huge shool of slamon on the southern end of Forresters beach, i had a go but didnt get any hits , so i might have another crack later today

good luck mate

steve

G'day,

I hit Budgewoi beach last night.

There is a few sambos starting to show up, not in any huge numbers yet though. Give them a few weeks, and with any luck they will show up in the numbers that turned up last year thumbup.gif

Also a few avererage tailor made an apperance, but only to around half a kilo.

We got a few hits on ganged pillies, but the best and most frequent hits came to squid baits.

Just keep that sand between your toes and the fish will come

Good luck

Dan

Cheers boys,

might give it another week or so before we have a crack. the tailor seem to be starting to show tho.

Hi,

I went down tonight and got 2 tailor and a flathead in 1 hour from Wamberal. It was a good tide, and I think there would definantly be fish on from about 4pm tomorow arvo. A simple pilly or gar on gang hooks will sort you out. I suspect there were bream there too.

North Entrance fishes well apparently but I always think its too crowded. Its just a matter of fishing the tides around a low light scenario.

The Poacher

Gave wamby a go on Saturday and hit a tailor about 5.45(last light) and again last night, just north of the lagoon got a few bites and landed a flatty of 41cm, but missed a lot of them as i forgot my pliers so couldn't rig up the gangs properly tried the bream rig and got nothing so switched back to gangs and pillies and hit the flatty, The hits dried up totally once it was fully dark

I tried Budgy last year but didnt really know what to do and look for so wasn't that successful so maybe i'll plan for a session this weekend and see what its like, any suggestions on where abouts on budgy beach fishes the best, when you say the rocks at terrigal do you mean the rocks by the boat ramp or the ones by the old swimming pool, have you been out lately and had any success?How has Budgy been fishing?

Cheers mate

Steve

Hey there Steve i will be coming down that way on Tuesday the 6th for 3 nights to fish the beaches around that way, i might give Budgewoi beach a try for a jewie and maybe even down your way as well, depends on where the tailor are thick i guess, i will give freddy's fishing world a tingle and see what happens from there.

Hi Codfisho

Did you manage to hit Budgy beach and how did you get on?

Steve

Hi Bunney 10,

If the seas are big you fish the southern end of Budgy called Hargreaves as its sheltered by a reef. Otherwise as you drive further north there are several "entrances" to the beach through the small parking lots. Pick one and check the formations - its as easy as that.

POacher

PS> rig your gangs with a small swivel between each hook. They are easier to put on.

Hi Bunney 10,

If the seas are big you fish the southern end of Budgy called Hargreaves as its sheltered by a reef. Otherwise as you drive further north there are several "entrances" to the beach through the small parking lots. Pick one and check the formations - its as easy as that.

POacher

PS> rig your gangs with a small swivel between each hook. They are easier to put on.

Thanks Poacher

for the tips on Budgy and especially on the gang rig with the swivels, quite a nice little trick that, keep the tips coming, all this gets me more confident on catching rather that "cast and hoping" might give Budgy a go tomorrow if not the definately at the weekend,

cheers

steve