Which Outboard To Buy

BFB

mate i would go the yammy. living down near the river i hear lots of reports bout motors and alot of etec owners down on the hawkesbury are not happy with them and have had problems that the dealers are enable to fix.

flatty hunter

Hi Flatty, considering we are the E-TEC dealer for the Hawkesbury I would like to know of the people that are having all these issues you speak of and the fact that they can not be fixed, we do not see any more problems with E-TEC than any other brand and if there is a problem, BRP are the best we have dealt with in our 45 years of operation at getting the problem resolved. I like when people come on these types of forum and say "I hear lots of report" do you have any facts to back this up. From our point of view the E-TEC we have sold and serviced are running fine and in fact we have a customer with a 50HP E-TEC that has sunk twice that is still running fine, so in my book that is pretty good.

Topics like this always end up like this and as I said earlier all brands are OK, but with our experience we prefer the E-TEC 115HP over any other 115HP "clean" engine on the market and that is why we chose to buy about 110 E-TEC a year. Trust me we have all the manufacturers wanting us to sell their product and I could ring any of them up today and start selling their outboards but even though the 4-Strokes are good at some things they definately do have some disadvantages when sensibly compared to E-TEC.

I think this is proabably where this topic should finish and as I have said get yourself a ride in the outboards you prefer and I think the E-TEC V4 will impress, as it does every time I run one, but that is just my opinion.

Cheers,

Huey.

Mate every side has valid arguments, me personally, i would go with a 4 stroke because of some well known issues with a certain cougarcraft that had an etec.....

I have since heard of 4 other etecs where the owners are very unhappy and regretful of there purchase, but i will point out that all of these etecs are big motors 150hp +++.......I have spoken to people like Ross who own smaller etecs and they seem very happy....so maybe the smoke and fuel economy issues are resticted to bigger engines....

I have heard nothing but good things from optimax owners may it be Mariner or Mercury...i know about 5 people with an optimax and they all get excellent economy with good performance.

For offshore fishing nothing but a 4 stroke would be recommended by me, my mate just bought a 610 quintrex with a johnno 4 stroke on board and we only go through 80 litres of fuel after a whole days trolling, and we have found a 4 stroke is much better at maintaining a trolling speed unlike many 2 strokes where you gotta keep playing with the throttle due to the swell.

But you mentioned you may want to tow a skier and if you do i think a 4 stroke would not be suitable, a 4 stroke is slower off the mark and this may effect your water sking capabilities, Me personally, as a fisherman could not give a rats ass if it takes me 2 seconds longer to get to 20 knots as a 4 stroke motor for a offshore fishing boat is awesome and has too many advantages over other motors.

For what you wanna do with it i would recommend a OPtimax motor, good power and performance with great fuel economy....