Suzuki 140hp Oil Injected - 80's Model

Kevvy

:1prop: Hi Kev again,

The caribbean Commodore has a Suzuki 140Hp Oil injected on the bakc...about a late 80's model I think.

What are these motors like ?

Will it have enough grunt to pull a tube occasionally ?

Thanks Kev

28335[/snapback]

hi there kev and :1welcomeani: to this great site. well i done own a caribbean. but there are a good boat . how big is the commodore is it about 19 f ?. with a f/glass boat you look for rot floor & transan.humm ....suzuki....myself i dont like them ...oil injected. get rid of that . ian no all about oil injected :biggrin2: not being rude how mutch for the boat :1yikes:

HI kev and :1welcomeani:

I dont know anything about the commodores but i have a crestcutter 5.2 mtr with a 115 johno on the back.

like ankles says just look for the usual glass boat problems in the transom and floor, from my research before i bought it they dont seem to have any specific problems and mine only takes on about half a cup of water in the bilge after a full day out.

with the 115 on the back of mine i have plenty of grunt my :wife: tells me that we could even get a skier out of the water with it ( and she use to race in the bridge to bridge ).

my rig is an early 80's model and isnt oil injected so i dont know how that compares to yours.

hope that helps a bit :biggrin2:

:1welcomeani: Kev.

Carribean have always made good boats but ive never been inside a Commodore.

Suzuki make a damn good motor. Although not widely known for their outboards, they are one of the best.

The question is, is YOUR motor any good. Make sure you get it fully checked before hitting the water.

Even on a 19 footer it will have plenty of grunt to pull a tube.

PS make sure when you insure your boat to include skiers on the policy if you gunna tow a tube.

:thumbup:

Edited by Grantm

HI kev and  :1welcomeani:

I dont know anything about the commodores but i have a crestcutter 5.2 mtr with a 115 johno on the back.

like ankles says just look for the usual glass boat problems in the transom and floor, from my research before i bought it they dont seem to have any specific problems and mine only takes on about half a cup of water in the bilge after a full day out.

with the 115 on the back of mine i have plenty of grunt my  :wife:  tells me that we could even get a skier out of the water with it ( and she use to race in the bridge to bridge ).

my rig is an early 80's model and isnt oil injected so i dont know how that compares to yours.

hope that helps a bit  :biggrin2:

28540[/snapback]

Thanks Wombat10, I like the look of your crest cutter. One of the best things about these Caribbeans is the open space behind the cabin for fishing. The Commodore is 20.5ft (6.1m). I think it weighs about 1800kg. Not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew size wise, I own a 1999 Pajero that will tow 2500kg. How heavy is your boat and what do you tow with ?

Cheers Kev

thanks GrantM,

When you praise Suzuki, are you including the older motors like the one I'm looking at (mid 80's) ?

Kev

29587[/snapback]

Suzuki have always made good motors - even the old ones. BUT that doesnt neccessarily mean yours will be good. You need to check the service history if you can, and get it thoroughly checked and serviced. Even motors with a good reputation can have dramas if they have been mistreated. If a Suzi motor has been well looked after and serviced properly it 'should' be good.

Most jap built engines are good. In fact most outboards if looked after are pretty good really, with the exception of Chrysler, they are crap and always were. They changed their name to Force and were of course still crap.

Cheers :thumbup: