Making Sinkers

noisy

i went to my local tackle store to price sinkers and nearly had a heart attack at the cost...so i decided to make my own..what a weekend ....bought a 14kg lead ingot nice and clean..no wastage not covered in paint and other nasties...had it chopped into pieces.took it home and with the aide of number one son...we made enough sinkers to keep me rock fishin for the rest of my life....bob

Edited by noisy

How about some pics of the end result , and how did you go about melting the lead ?

Ross

ok ross....give me a couple of days and i will see what i can do...taking photo's not a prob ...puttin up here thats another story....bob

Noisy,

We have been losing heaps of droppers offshore a few snags but schools of pesky leatherjackets biting the line before you hit bottom, i lost three in four drops before we moved on. With my crew losing 2 ( he's slower to re-rig). He was two for two.

I have been struggling to get lead, the metal recyclers said they can get it for me but bulk orders only, smallest order is one tonne and a couple of thousand dollars. Anyone want to share i reckon 50kgs each, thats 20 raiders. Transport could a bugger though.

Where can you buy a lead ingot, how much and where do you get it cut up?

Guys, a tip. Try the demolition companies and see if they have any old sash window counterweights. They often are steel but just as often they are lead. I got 8 from my neighbour who reno'd his house, about 3kg each. Cost nix.

I melt mine on a 4.5kg gas bottle with a cooker top( Bunnings, $15 ) and an old aluminium saucepan which I bashed a pouring spout into the top of.

NOTE: Handle with extreme care and use gloves. Molten lead takes no prisoners!

Russ

Guys, a tip. Try the demolition companies and see if they have any old sash window counterweights. They often are steel but just as often they are lead. I got 8 from my neighbour who reno'd his house, about 3kg each. Cost nix.

I melt mine on a 4.5kg gas bottle with a cooker top( Bunnings, $15 ) and an old aluminium saucepan which I bashed a pouring spout into the top of.

NOTE: Handle with extreme care and use gloves. Molten lead takes no prisoners!

Russ

Those cheapo cookers and molten lead. You're a much gamer man than me as they were only designed for 2 liters of water.

Gloves glasses leather apron , leather boots the full kit. I've seen lead on skin at a smelter - never seen burns so deep and painfull as from the smallest drops of lead. Can never be to careful with molten metals so I like the gunshop pots.

Yep, I agree Pelican, but the pot I use is small, about 1ltr capacity and I only ever have it about 1/3 full, otherwise it takes too long to melt and too dangerous to handle. I also did my time in a foundry as a Patternmaker, and I also saw some large moulds blow one day - not pretty for the two dogmen I can assure you with molten metal down their boots..

Russ

Hi bob

I'm looking for a new lee pro 20

where could I pick one up and could you give some idea of price

cheers :beersmile:

Fishabout

Sorry it took so long to reply. You should be able to pick them up from any good gun shop for around $150.

But you must remember that if you want to pour moulds higher than 4 inches you have to do some mod's.

If you have not already read the post on ( cheap lead smelters ) have a look at it. You will see the mod's i had to do to get the larger moulds under it.

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=29290

Cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob