How Good Is The Georges River Now?

Dreamtime

we have unfortunately done alot of damage in quite a few locations and we can only hope weve learned from these issues and can salvage things over time... cheers...steve......

I lived on the Georges River at Illawong for 20 years, up to 1984. Then Illawong had very few houses and a small population. From Illawong to the Woronora Bridge there was not more than 20 houses and a few farms in between. My god - look at it now. The old ferry at Lugarno ceased operation in 1972, it carried 15 cars.

Anyway, back then (god that makes me feel old) you could catch pretty well any species, in large quantity any time of the day or night - that was when you could catch a good Jewie at Jewfish Point.

Bream, Flatties, Flounder, Whiting, Tailor, Soul, Jackets, Whiting, Jewies, Trumpeters, Good size muddies, squid, prawns, oysters, cockles, small snapper, mullet, gar - just to name a few.

My folks moved to Central Coast and the daily fishing jaunts ended. Years later I had a weekend session on the Georges, fished every spot that I had come to know so well in my early days there. Can you believe it - over a two day period I caught 1 Fortesque (in my favourite Blackie spot) and nothing else.

The reports I read on this forum indicate that there has been a reversal of that situation. I guess that Fishing limits and pollution control has had a factor in this.

What are your thoughts on this?

The Georges River has been fishing well for a very long time and as a long time fisher in this system for over 40 yrs and when you could catch monster bream on huge blood worms pumped from Georges Hall.

The water quality does sufffer from urban run-off but when the clean waters flow back in the Georges is still a great fishery and I wouldnt hesitate to eat fish from the waters from Picnic Point out to Captain Cook Bridge :biggrin2:

Chipping Norton Lakes is still a bit iffy and right up to the wier at Liverpool and you can still catch quality bass in the upper reaches as well and the basin is still an awesome place for a swim and fish and is still pristine.

Cheers Stewy