Fishing Line Strength/capacity

Rexxy

hey all, you may find this one unusual, or as i am guessing just tell me to offload it and buy new line...

but i was curious as I have 2 or 3 reels that i havent used in a long while, so i have forgotten just what the strength of the line is on these reels. Is there any way/ideas on working this out, reason is, i have a decent sized beach/rock reel with 20lb line on it, and am wanting to take a 2nd reel with me with light line in the event the beach fishng isnt getting anything on the heavy line with pillies, and could change to the light reel and try for a few whiting....

basically i want to at least catch a few fishies during a mornings beach fishing......am getting a tad tired of no fish to boast about and take home....

i am guessing my 20lb line will not serve me too well in the attempt to catch whiting, is it that it scares them away ?

20lb is a overkill with whiting and they will probably pick up on it, unless you go with a lighter leader. If you want to find out the strenght of a line, try using some scales and seeing what weight it breaks at.......better for testing drags this method so maybe cut off a section of line and do it.

Replacing your lines would probably be the best thing you could do, give braid a go, much more sensitive so you feel every bite.

Josh

thanks guys, will see about replacing them, but will be keeping my big reel spooled with my 20lb line for my plans of bigger fish and pillies on gangs..hehe oh yeah and its fireline mono.....

i had heard braid tangles up a lot, so i didnt want to get into that trouble whilst still working out how to cast my new 12ft shinamo with 20lb line and pillies..... i still dont get too far with my casts, seem to either catch the line with my finger(s) on release or i hold on a fraction too much and flick bait into different location than sinker......hehehehe

so will wait b4 i venture intobraid territory.....

its the weight that i have issues with, dropped size 4 sinker and single hook on last week for smaller fish session and was getting decent casts...