Dawn Patrol, Goon Style 23/01

Lizardboy

I woke @ 4:30am and poked my head out my window to check the weather conditions... :1badmood: and :badair: that'd be right :wife: The car had already been packed and the canoe loaded the previous afternoon and I was now wide awake so I headed off to meet Extasea.

We got to the Goon and it was just starting to get light, but still :badair: and :1badmood: , so we decided to leave the canoe on the car and have a quick flick with surface lures up at the drop off. There was a lot of activity, but no bust ups. Extasea opened the tally with a bream that he finally hooked after it had hit his buggi pop no less than five times. I had larger fish to fry and was skipping a popper along the surface in the hope of tempting one of the Elusive Goon Trevors :fisher: I had picked up the pace and was cranking the Rebel Pop-R aggressively, pausing for a split second between bursts of a metre or so, when it was slammed, I struck and came up tight B) , from the aggressiveness of the strike and pace I had been cranking the popper I was sure it had to be some form of goon exotic, and I was getting pretty exited as it started to take drag. The fish went on a few more short bursts but I was getting on top of it a little too easily. I lead it into shallows and we got a glimpse of colour Extasea called EP. It wasn't what I had been hoping for nor was it big at just over 30cm's, but none the less I was stoked :biggrin2: I was a pretty worried for EP as it had really inhaled the popper very deeply, but with the aid of my plyers I was able to gently remove it before taking a quick snap and letting it go on its way.

Lizard

post-78-1106453004_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lizardboy

Nice work Gus.

I haven't been up there in ages, that's the problem with getting a boat.

Was there many trevors about?

28499[/snapback]

Na mate, there didn't seem to be many trevors about the only significant surface action apeared to be the work of EP's in up against the reeds on the southern bank, but that was pretty scattered. Extasea tells me that things were going nuts with a school of tiny baitfish being boofed under and arround the bridge until ther tide turned.

I'm planning to hit it up from the canoe a fair bit other the next couple of months, as I'm still yet to land anything out of the ordinary....even considering a live bait session if all else fails.

Lizard

Will do Andrew. Any size to the Trevors Mitch?

I was fairly surprised to pick up the EP up on a popper, then again I had a flattie launch itself clear of the water to woof down a popper, this time last year and the water was about waste deep.

Lizard

ive been reading this post and also got told there maybe jacks and trevors by swoffa in avoca as well would i find these around the same structure as bream or eps i would love 2 hook onto a jack or trevor in avoca lake sorry for hijacking ur post. just want to get an exotic as well

Hey Tyronne, i'm not that much into chasing these types of fish but I believe where the bait fish travel so will the trevors. Jacks seem to hold in the more "rocky country", where they can hold up in cave style areas and ambush there prey and have it back in there home before the bait knows what hit it.

Not sure if correct but hope so

Mitch

Mate i'll be up that way tomorrow for a few hours. Will be at the entrance ( Baits R Us) around midday for a couple of hours and am also heading t oourimbah. I'll give you a call once I get there and see what your up to. Will most definatly have a flick stick or 2 in the car...... :1fishing1::1prop: