The Poon Hole 4 - 23/1/05

Ken A

Yet another walk to the Tarpon spot tonight. After all its the only fish action around here at the moment. :1prop:

I arrived at 6.30pm & started slinging poppers. Right on time at 6.45 the bite started & I was getting hits. I surprised myself by hooking & landing the first 3 Tarpon which were all between 25 & 30cm.

After those fish I tossed my popper around the edge of some lilly pads & had 2 great surface strikes from small Bass. I landed & released both of them. The first was 23cm & the second 25cm in length. The went very hard for the size of them & were in excellent condition.

The mozzies began to swarm around me & yet again my eyelids were under attack as they were the only bit of my exposed flesh not doused in RID.

With my left eyelid swelling rapidly I had another few shots at the tarpon & hooked 3 more & landed 2 of them. Both about 25cm.

A fun session it was & to get such a good hookup /land ratio on the Tarpon was very pleasing. I have shortened my leader right down to about 8 inches to reduce stretch to zip. I am using an Owner treble tied to the rear of the lure on approx 20 mm of 10 kilo line so it acts like a "stinger" hook & its doing the job very well.

All in all yet another fun 60 minute session at the Poon Hole. :thumbup:

Now I'm off to ice my eyelids :1prop:

Guest bluecod

Ken,

Sounds like you're having a ball on those tarpon - have you tried the NewGuinea recipe for mozzies?

Fishing the PNG swamps I used RID and the mozzies loved it, the locals used a mixture of kero and coconut oil and fished all night in singlets. Worth a try but don't forget to shower afterwards :badair:

Ken it did not take you long to work out what would increase your success rate on the tarpon. A simple innovation and a great result. Now you just have to resolve the mozzie problem!!!

Good luck with the fishing and hope you also get your GT.

Cheers

Martin

I'm working on the Mozzie problems. :1yikes:

I'm glad a couple changes has helped with the hook up rate /landing rate on the tarpon. It just shows yet again if the normal methods aren't working try something else. There are no "wrong" ways in fishing just some ways work better than others.

I would like to be chasing Trevors & stuff but the passage is dead as a doornail. I fished with live crabs the other day for 3 hours for 1 bite which was a ray :thumbdown:

I'm working on the Mozzie problems.  :1yikes:

I'm glad a couple changes has helped with the hook up rate /landing rate on the tarpon. It just shows yet again if the normal methods aren't working try something else. There are no "wrong" ways in fishing just some ways work better than others.

I would like to be chasing Trevors & stuff but the passage is dead as a doornail. I fished with live crabs the other day for 3 hours for 1 bite which was a ray  :thumbdown:

28588[/snapback]

most decent camping stores sell mozzie nets that fit over your hat

you look like a dork but they work a treat

I don't have to worry about Mozzies now. They have either been blown away or drowned in all this rain & wind. Don't have to worry about tarpon either the hole is a big mud puddle :thumbdown:

Its about 1.3 long kangaroo hops Beefa. Or .3 of a roo hop from my pool :1prop: