Stessco Boats

soapie

Hello fishraiders,

On my search for a new boat, I came across a Stessco RV420 Catcher.

It was quite a nice boat however I have not seen any of these before down in NSW. Apparantly they are a popular choice in QLD ?

Has anyone got any comments on this boat ??

Cheers :beersmile:

Nick

Hi Soapie

I think the stesscos are a good value for money boat, my previous tinny was a stessco squire and i never had an ounce of trouble with it, handled the water well and we used to fish 2 up in it all the time, mine was a 3.7 with a 20HP.

A well made pressed alloy boat. :thumbup:

Stevo

GDAY Soapie,

Not a bad tinnie generally speaking, although I dont particularly like the hull design.

It is manufactued the same way as an Ally Craft, where the pressing of the hull is the same as the sides. V pressed I think they call it.

Well made hulls are V pressed on the sides but have a U shape pressing for the bottom. This make the hull a lot stronger.Have a look at some pics on the net and you will see what I mean.

For general use it probably wont make any difference and they are a bit cheaper as well. But its worth knowing that info depending what you want to do.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Thanks guys,

I particularly liked the size. For a 4.20 metre, the depth and width really impressed me.

It would be a boat i'd be using for general spinning and social competitions.

My current tinnie is 3.7 m however needs that little bit extra for comfort and some more HP (have only a 15hp Mariner on it now).

The Stessco model im looking at is 4.20 metres and weights approx 200kgs.

The standard model has a 30hp Yamaha on it, Im abit unsure if this 30hp will push it hard enough or if I should be looking at upgrading to a 40hp ?

Nick :thumbup:

Hey Soapie,

Id say the weight would be closer to the 170 kg mark ?, so the recommended hp would be 30 with a max of 40hp. Go to the max if you can, theres nothing worse than being underdone.

Im sure the 30 will be ok but if you've got a full load you'll appreciate the extra bit.

cheers mate :thumbup:

Grant, regarding the weight, the Stessco RV comes with a full complemet of floors, and live tanks. It is basically a tourny model with the extruded side deck also. It should be OK with a 40.

Have you had a ride in one Nick?

Edited by Jocool

Grant, regarding the weight, the Stessco RV comes with a full complemet of floors, and live tanks. It is basically a tourny model with the extruded side deck also. It should be OK with a 40.

28699[/snapback]

I still dont reckon its that heavy even with floors. SPECS.

Either way a 40 will be OK as you said. :thumbup:

Grant,

The stessco brochure claims it is 215kgs.

Joe, No I have not had a ride in one yet. I basically saw one for the first time on the weekend and was pretty impressed.

At the moment im looking at one of them or a explorer trophy. Still a few months away from a purchase but doing alot of research and gotta sell the current boat.

Cheers

Nick :1fishing1:

Fair enough Nick, I suppose its hard to argue with the current brochure :1prop: . Perhaps other specs ive seen havent taken into account some items.

I actually had a good look at one not that long ago and the were well fitted out inside. Saw it on the back of someones trailer and took a sticky beak B)