Serious Popper Rods Under 5 Foot When Split

hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any heavy duty spins (15-24kg) that are 2 piece that break into sections under five foot besides blue water t curve (7' 6" ). Have found a few - considering a godzilla from nitro. price range $200-600?

End of short version

Thanks

Start of Long version (reasons why)

Going on holiday (samoa),

Mainly for surfing but also planning on trying poppering for GT's or anything else that will eat poppers, lures etc . Perhaps tuna.

I have already invested in a five foot twin barrel rod tube for previous hol. (2 * 9cm diameter rod tubes joined together in cloth from aussie company).

I picked five foot as the tube length to match a short stroker trolling rod I use. I kind of like the length as you can normally fit it in most cars - somehow.

Had made a decsion that all travel rods bought from now on must split into 5 foot sections or less. With a bit of effort I can fit 5 rods in the tubes (therefore thinking of taking 1 light spin, 2 trolling rods, and 2 heavy spin rods - want two to share fishing with girlfriend / others and backup etc).

So I have 4 rods sorted (1 spin light, 2 trolling and 1 spin heavy ). Want one more heavy spin. The heavy spin I have is the bluewater t curve 15-24kg spin at 7 ft 6 inches- (butt removes) which just fits (blank is about 5ft and 1/2 inches and butts between 2 -3 feet.). So I'm after another spin - similar size and similar line class (ie very heavy). i could just buy another t curve but seems a bit of a shame not to have two different models to compare. T curve do put out a gt special in the t curve - but at 8 ft with I'm guessing the same butt section its going to be 6 inches too long.

Diawa put out a gt rod at 7 foot six with a removable butt section (Saltiga SG Muramura 76) but I can't find out how long the blank (top section ) is off the net and doubt my local stocks it to check. May have to track one down.

Anyway - back to original q - any suggestions for a heavy duty 2 piece spin that breaks into short sections ?

Will probably ask exact same question in a forum with more gt focus but may as well try both?

many thanks

You can get a daiwa monster mesh ...but is 8'3 when put together. I would have to find a tape measure to see what mine is when pulled apart into 2. It has the usual butt connection, but not sure if that will get you into under 5 foot still. That rod has plenty of grunt with 11kg drag rating and 200gram casting weight. Shimano have a GT rod that is a beast too, or you could go a saltiga dorado, though that is a lighter stick at 15-24kg. But all have a length of 7'6 to 8'3 range. I will try and find a measure and see what mine are once split. Note, that the threadline rods have big stripper guides so you may not be able to get as many as you want in the rod tube.

Edited by caranx