Fishing Dunk Island

Blood Knot

Hi Raiders - Just looking for the usual heads up when heading to a new holiday destination - looking at a week on Dunk Island late June

Has anyone had recent experience there fishing landbased ( is it allowed etc) around the island or can recommend light tackle charters.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

We went up there last October and had an awesome time. We didn't have that much luck landbased but off the jetty i know that everything from spanish mackeral to barramundi have been caught off it, quite a few octopus hang around it and pods of manta rays. You can also fish off the beach, we were staying at the furthest house thingo which was very nice but entailed a few long walks each day. I reckon that a landbased spot definintely worth trying would be the furthest point of the island, looking back at mainland AUS. There are some good eddies there that fish should congregate around. Another option is hiring a dinghy which we did and caught some bits and pieces and got smashed a few times by spanish mackeral fishing around a nearby island no too far from shore. There is a guy who runs charters from there and he is a fantastic guy, will PM you more info about that.

Cheers

Josh

Hi John,

We went up there last October and had an awesome time. We didn't have that much luck landbased but off the jetty i know that everything from spanish mackeral to barramundi have been caught off it, quite a few octopus hang around it and pods of manta rays. You can also fish off the beach, we were staying at the furthest house thingo which was very nice but entailed a few long walks each day. I reckon that a landbased spot definintely worth trying would be the furthest point of the island, looking back at mainland AUS. There are some good eddies there that fish should congregate around. Another option is hiring a dinghy which we did and caught some bits and pieces and got smashed a few times by spanish mackeral fishing around a nearby island no too far from shore. There is a guy who runs charters from there and he is a fantastic guy, will PM you more info about that.

Cheers

Josh

Good onya Josh - it sound like great fun - Just gotta get the wife - time balance thing sorted and then get amongst a few fish. A few extra brownie points for me after finishing a bathroom reno I hope - Thanks for taking the time to reply & PM with the good oil. Thats what I like about Fishraiders :thumbup:

Cheers John

Edited by Blood Knot

fishing holiday? kingfish on light gear on Parra river not good enough for you!! :1prop:

Sorry mate - as much as I enjoy our current fishing relationship where you spot em & I catch em :074: I am under some reasonably firm domestic pressure to provide the :wife: with some leisure time we will both enjoy.

So will have to leave the light tackle Kingy stuff to you - and sorry, still have not replaced your buggered landing net yet - soon ...

John

around to the left of the main buildings is the little beach called Stingray bay i think, and you can use the small 2man catermarans free of charge, we had a ball on them. I remember thinking to myself geez what i would do for a few handlines and some bait right about now.....

you can also grab the surf ski's and paddle across to the small island for a picnic........lots of places over there too

or hire the jet ski's and an hour and try ytou luck trolling out deep...hahaha now that would be a story.....

around to the left of the main buildings is the little beach called Stingray bay i think, and you can use the small 2man catermarans free of charge, we had a ball on them. I remember thinking to myself geez what i would do for a few handlines and some bait right about now.....

you can also grab the surf ski's and paddle across to the small island for a picnic........lots of places over there too

or hire the jet ski's and an hour and try ytou luck trolling out deep...hahaha now that would be a story.....

Cheers Rexxy & thanks for that info, will try and put your tips to good use - often wondered if those bloody noisy jet ski's could not be put to good use (could be a reasonably stable fishing platform I suppose) do they make them with rod holders :074:

Thanks John

Edited by Blood Knot

You actually aren't allowed to set foot on that island directly opposite the wharf. Its like a protected animal place that they leave untouched to allow breeding etc...

You actually aren't allowed to set foot on that island directly opposite the wharf. Its like a protected animal place that they leave untouched to allow breeding etc...

Thanks Josh & Rexxy for the feedback

After having gone to Fiji (and staying on two different islands ) and being faced with the so called native taboos on land based fishing around the islands (which I suspect were actually driven by the resort owners and their want to get your hard earned $ across their charter desks), I am starting to appreciate the difficulties involved in fishing away from home :mad3:

Guess thats the benefit of fishing forums - Hopefully with the info recieved from you guys I will be able to navigate around any local restrictions / problems and tap into good local charter guys / recommended spots and get into a few fish :thumbup: .

John