Tonight's Beach Session

donjuarez

Couldn't resist the itch and had to go for my 'once a week' fish... (the minimum number of sessions I can have in a week and live a sane life)

My options were to take the boat out tomorrow, for a semi rushed morning session due to Sunday committments, or go for a hassle free beach session tonight...

With the rising tide, top scheduled for midnight... and the biggest tide for the next 4/5 days... Beach session it was!

After having an awful time with servo pillies on my last outing with them flying off in any direction and refusing to stay on the hooks(must try bait mate!), I opted for the 2 frozen Slimies, and a handful of squiddies from the freezer...

Got to my spot just before 8, pitch black! moon was sitting low, and behind some cloud.. lucky I had pre-rigged :biggrin2:

Cubed up slimy number 1 .... 3rd cast and 15 minutes in... swooped on!!! strike! ... sweet i'm on!

short tussle and a few good little runs... and new PB Breambo of 39 cm is beached... :thumbup: (previous was a 36cm model...)

Things then went a little quiet.... or more likely, given I'm new to beach fishing, consistent casting is still a bit of an issue.... add pitch black to the equation, and who knows where I was casting to for the next 40 or so minutes... probably nowhere near the gutter where the bream were holding up...

With one slimy finished, decided to switch to Squid... slow going on the squid, not as many hits... in the meantime the moon has started to make an appearance and within 5/10 minutes of light... mr squiddie gets smashed! Some very solid runs... taking easily 20 metres of line with it on one of them, and after about a 5 minutes tussle... New PB number 2 is beached! The Steam Train... a 42cm Bream fat! and weighing 1.35Kg! :yahoo:

Might take a while to match this baby... can't wait to land a similar one on my 2-4kg gear!

Gave the squiddies a few more casts for not much, before ganging my last slimy and sending it out whole in hope of a Jew... no joy, and my guess is the breambo took care of it!

2 hours gone, a feed in the bag, and no Jew Bait left... decided to call it quits at about 10...

Something tells me Mr Jew was out there... and the turn of the tide at about midnight might have produced the goods... guess i'll never know!

Did run into a local fisho at the beach who stayed on at my gutter chasing a jew, if you're a raider, and reading this... hope it went well for you! looking forward to reading a report!

post-6231-1211640313_thumb.jpg

post-6231-1211640336_thumb.jpg

post-6231-1211640348_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by throw me a fish

Hi throw me a fish.

Well done on the larger size bream, throw me one to Campbelltown ay !! :D I reckon that other chap's livies would have been given a bit of a work out by those bream on the run out tide. They'd be spawning schools spawning in close and nearby reefs. I didn't see many coming into the estuaries this year doing their breeding bit myself, but others got among a few good size bream in the rivers in between the undersize ones.

Good luck on the jew next time but with good sized bream being around the beaches right now, it might pay to use heavy duty 4/0s or even down to 3/0s on the jew rigs to get yourself a good bi-catch of bream as well.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi throw me a fish.

Well done on the larger size bream, throw me one to Campbelltown ay !! :D I reckon that other chap's livies would have been given a bit of a work out by those bream on the run out tide. They'd be spawning schools spawning in close and nearby reefs. I didn't see many coming into the estuaries this year doing their breeding bit myself, but others got among a few good size bream in the rivers in between the undersize ones.

Good luck on the jew next time but with good sized bream being around the beaches right now, it might pay to use heavy duty 4/0s or even down to 3/0s on the jew rigs to get yourself a good bi-catch of bream as well.

Cheers

Thanks Jewgaffer... will definitely look to head out and chase a few more... don;t know if I can throw as far as the C town.. but will try!

Yeah they were out in numers... Whenever I moved up a hook size light work was made of the bait with no hookup..

Not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure they were both caught on a 4/0 or 3/0...

Have you had much success with Beach Jews before? What sort of rig could you recommend for the surf?

Cheers,

AJ

.....Have you had much success with Beach Jews before? What sort of rig could you recommend for the surf?

Cheers,

AJ

Hi throw me a fish. Before I got my first boat as a teenager I did a lot of beach and rock fishing for jew, having had the right teachers. As to beach fishing, on dead baits I sometimes use a fixed star sinker at the bottom of the leader with a three way onto a very short short leader to the bait. I find if you use a drop shot rig below the bait you can fling the bait out further and easier. You can also add on a feathered type of surf popper on a paternosta above the bait. If you're among fish in general and lose your bait you might even hook up a good size fish on the popper.

On other rods I match the casting weight with a running sinker to a shorter 600mm long leader for casting a live bait further out behind the breakers. Rather than just casting out and floating a livie, I add a small bean sinker running to a tiny lumo bead at the nose or the dorsal fin hook to keep the livie down and struggling along on the fast action rods.

I have found there is no need to use over sensitive gear in the roll of the surf for predators.

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer