Yamaha V4 130hp Saltwater Series

GK510

Howdy all,

If have a query on behalf of a friend who has a newish boat with a Yamaha 130 fitted.

It has Yamaha digital gauges, one of which shows the oil level. The question is, does this gauge read of the main oil tank or the smaller one that is on the motor. He has clocked up a fair few hours now and the main oil tank is down to about half, yet the gauge hasn't moved at all. He queried this when he had a service recently but was told this was normal.

I guess if it does read off the smaller tank on the motor then it will always show full until the main tank runs out.

If anyone can shed some light on this subject that would be great.

Cheers,

Graham :beersmile:

The question is, does this gauge read of the main oil tank or the smaller one that is on the motor.

I would think a quick look at the main oil tank would show you if there is any sender there. (Check for any wires also) If not then the level would obviously be for the smaller tank.

Cheers

Edited by Mariner 31

Thanks for the reply Mariner 31.

I haven't had a look at the set up myself, but I have been told that there is 4 wires that go to the main oil tank. Two in through the top,which I assume would be for a sender, and two that go in the bottom of the tank. I'd imagine these would be for the pump?

Not sure about wires going to the tank on the motor though.......My friend siad he hasn't had the cover off the motor himself as yet.

Howdy all,

If have a query on behalf of a friend who has a newish boat with a Yamaha 130 fitted.

It has Yamaha digital gauges, one of which shows the oil level. The question is, does this gauge read of the main oil tank or the smaller one that is on the motor. He has clocked up a fair few hours now and the main oil tank is down to about half, yet the gauge hasn't moved at all. He queried this when he had a service recently but was told this was normal.

I guess if it does read off the smaller tank on the motor then it will always show full until the main tank runs out.

Cheers,

Graham :beersmile:

hi graham

i ran a 130 yamie for 6 years ,the gauges only start to flash when there is bugger all oil left in the large

tank ,from memory like about a inch or so . its worth carrying a bottle of yamielube in a side pocket with you just in case.If your mate has the large bottle mounted in the bilge id get it moved to higher ground so the pump in the back of the large tank isnt getting salt water all over it continually, i chewed out two oil pumps before on the large tank before i moved it ,if this pump packs it in on the water you have to manually fill the engine oil reservoir when out to sea this is a right royal pain in the arse

cheers arman

To the best of my knowledge there is no "oil level" function on the Yammy multi gauges.

There is a fuel level indication however and a trim position.

The top tank is filled via the main tank obviously and there is an emergency toggle switch mounted under the cowl to MANUALLY operate the pump in the remote tank.

Cheers

We were having similar issues when we first got our boat on some of the gauges not matching what was actually happening. Seeing everyone is saying whats happening isn't a problem then it should be fine, if you are worried though, check the wires that go up to the gauges for any damage or if the connections don't seem right and fiddle with them a bit to see if the reading changes. We did this on ours and it fixed the readings up straight away.

Cheers

Josh