Level Line Overhead Or Open Reel

hornet435

Hi - Fishing for mackerel - any thoughts on level line or the other option with a reel - not sure what the others are called. Do the "others" finish up with a mountain of line in one spot - or how do you stop this. Are the linelevelers weaker because of that feature? many thanks Jim

Hornet

level wind reels do lay line for you and it is easier to fish with.

If you want to use these style reels on fast running fish the line can rub pretty fast

on the the line feed system. But for most general fishing they are fine. or the mech

could fail.on a fast run

The narrower the reel with levelwind the better in my opinion

as there will be less pressure on the line running out if the mechanism gets out is sinc with each other.

overheads with no levelwind you need to lay the line your self whilst winding the line in

after a while this becomes second nature. Also you will some times get more line on these reels

as the mechanism isn,t in the way or restricting you.

The above both reels are both good reels

personally i wouldn,t use a levelwind for tuna but thats my opinion

yes people have and still land fish on level wind.

G'day Jim,

I'm with Johnno. A level wind system is just one more mechanical system that can go wrong and adds more friction to the line. To be honest, it's really unlikely to ever be a problem as long as you look after it but the risk increases with the pressure you put on the system.

That's one of the reasons why almost all baitcasters for bass have them but game reels don't. The other reason is that baitcasters are made for fishing that involves repeated casting and retrieving (so it saves wearing out your thumb) whereas trolling and many other forms of fishing don't.

To get your line load level when retrieving without a level wind, you just need to use the thumb of your non-winding hand to guide the line from side to side as you wind. It's really easy.

If you're chasing macks by trolling or drifting baits I'd get a reel without a level wind. If you're throwing lures at schools you could consider it although I wouldn't personally. If you do decide to get a reel with a level wind for Macks make sure it's a good quality one so the LW is well engineered.

Cheers, Slinky

:1fishing1:

Hornet

level wind reels do lay line for you and it is easier to fish with.

If you want to use these style reels on fast running fish the line can rub pretty fast

on the the line feed system. But for most general fishing they are fine. or the mech

could fail.on a fast run

The narrower the reel with levelwind the better in my opinion

as there will be less pressure on the line running out if the mechanism gets out is sinc with each other.

overheads with no levelwind you need to lay the line your self whilst winding the line in

after a while this becomes second nature. Also you will some times get more line on these reels

as the mechanism isn,t in the way or restricting you.

The above both reels are both good reels

personally i wouldn,t use a levelwind for tuna but thats my opinion

yes people have and still land fish on level wind.

:1fishing1: Thanks Johnno - I appreciate your thoughts and it lines up with what our local tackle guy was saying - I am looking forward to the first fast run! Cheers Jim

G'day Jim,

I'm with Johnno. A level wind system is just one more mechanical system that can go wrong and adds more friction to the line. To be honest, it's really unlikely to ever be a problem as long as you look after it but the risk increases with the pressure you put on the system.

That's one of the reasons why almost all baitcasters for bass have them but game reels don't. The other reason is that baitcasters are made for fishing that involves repeated casting and retrieving (so it saves wearing out your thumb) whereas trolling and many other forms of fishing don't.

To get your line load level when retrieving without a level wind, you just need to use the thumb of your non-winding hand to guide the line from side to side as you wind. It's really easy.

If you're chasing macks by trolling or drifting baits I'd get a reel without a level wind. If you're throwing lures at schools you could consider it although I wouldn't personally. If you do decide to get a reel with a level wind for Macks make sure it's a good quality one so the LW is well engineered.

Cheers, Slinky

:1fishing1: As with Johnno - Thanks Slinky - Just a matter of practice and getting used to it. Jim