Whats This Fish?

trungie

Question

20 answers to this question

Mados are good for giving you the $^* when you're trying to catch bait, otherwise they're not much use for anything. I tried using them as livies a few times back when I fished the rocks and never got a touch... sometimes while rods were going off all around me.

Cheers, Slinky

Have caught them next to the 3rd runway in the bay b4, and have

had a King follow it back to the boat and steal it off the hook at the boat.

penguin

Edited by penguin

Yeah maddies are awfully tall for a fish' mouth.. i dont know how any fish could gulp that down besides a jewfish!

So are bream, but we have lost a couple of them to Kings as well.

penguin

Edited by penguin

They are in fact a gun live bait for John Dory. Once saw a Johnnie single out a Mado amongst Yakkas, Slimeys and other classic live baits. Of course, its rare to see Johnnies off washy rocks etc but if you can get them in the areas John Dory love to hunt then your in for a good feed :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

i heard you can eat them as well? :fish_h4h:

yeah mados are pests when trying to get live baits off the rocks, if you cant get anything else, punch one out, it's not gonna be as good as a yakka or slimey when targeting pelagics but having a bait out is better than having none, punch whatever you can get out, im sure you've herd stories of massive tuna caught on small treves and massive jews caught on blackfish :1fishing1:

Edited by my03

Hear the same thing. Gun bait for Dory.

Catch them off the rocks and the around to the harbour off manly for a feed of Dory.

Cheers Sunnyboy1

They are in fact a gun live bait for John Dory. Once saw a Johnnie single out a Mado amongst Yakkas, Slimeys and other classic live baits. Of course, its rare to see Johnnies off washy rocks etc but if you can get them in the areas John Dory love to hunt then your in for a good feed :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

QUOTE(Matt @ Jul 4 2008, 09:25 PM)

They are in fact a gun live bait for John Dory. Once saw a Johnnie single out a Mado amongst Yakkas, Slimeys and other classic live baits. Of course, its rare to see Johnnies off washy rocks etc but if you can get them in the areas John Dory love to hunt then your in for a good feed

Cheers

Windy

Agree with that! I was once fishing at the Peak, felt the tiniest touch then weight. Brought it up, I had hooked one of these Mados (I've been told they're called trumpeter?) and the dory had grabbed the mado. The Mado put it's spines up and lodged in the dory's throat, and up they both came.