How Does Quintrex Measure Boat Length?

Benzeenees

My boat is a 490 topender. I would have thought that meant the length was 490 cm or 4.9m. However, according to the Quintrex website the boat is over 5m long and measures either 5.33m (bow to transom?)or 5.41m (overall?). Does anyone understand where the 490 comes from?

Many boats are measure from like the front of the bow the where the transom ends, not that part many boats have extending from the transom for the motor to sit on which is where the extra 30 odd cm comes from. I'd imagine it would be roughly 4.9m to the back of the transom but that extra bit comes from that extension, plus you have to take into account the motor and tralier for overall length.

Josh

My boat is a 490 topender. I would have thought that meant the length was 490 cm or 4.9m. However, according to the Quintrex website the boat is over 5m long and measures either 5.33m (bow to transom?)or 5.41m (overall?). Does anyone understand where the 490 comes from?

Possibly that may be a measure at the waterline?

Hi, Carl is right, the 490 reflects the waterline length. The 5.33 includes the marlin boards, while the 5.41 incls marlin boards and bow sprit. Both Telwater brands (Stacer and Quitnrex) do this, but with the MOD POD arrangement of the Stacer the running length or water line is actually longer. To give you an example the Stacer 489 has a longer waterline than the 490 Quintrex, because the marlin boards of the quintrex does not improve the ride.

The only measurement the manufacturers can not measure differently from each other is beam. Trust me all brands measure the lengths different and some call the boat the LOA measurement, incl bow sprits and marlin boards, which they should not because it is decepitive to the public.

Cheers,

Craig.

• Like 1