The Annual Townsville Fishing & Outdoor Expo

volitans

In case you’ve never been to one (shame, shame) I thought there might be some of you guys interested in The Annual Townsville Fishing & Outdoor Expo held last weekend at Cluden Racetrack.

I don’t know the final tally of visitors but the local ‘rag’ reported that over 4000 people had passed through the gate by Saturday afternoon at this all weekend show and Sunday was even busier. The ATFOE was very well organised by the Townsville Sport fishing Club and included a wide range of exhibits. Coast Guard, The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, various other government departments, Billabong Sanctuary (one of the Premier attractions – wildlife/croc farm), accommodation houses and of course most sport, tackle and outdoor retailers in the city had stands where almost anything (except EPIRBS it seems – but that’s another story) could be bought at bargain prices.:1fishing1:

There was a stage between the grandstand and the main straight where local fishing identities gave talks on a wide range of subjects and an appearance by John Bowe (no doubt to support our upcoming inclusion to the V8 race competition) was much appreciated. There was a 14000 litre ‘Yamaha Supertank’ loaded with barra to demonstrate lures and techniques. Of course the boat shops in town had their wares on display with over 150 boats on display at ‘expo prices’. There was even caravans, campers and camping gear on show.

Personally what I thought was going to be an hour or so looking at a few tinnies turned out to take up most of Saturday and I could have easily returned on Sunday. My wife and I definitely got our $6 admission worth of fun not to mention the bargains.

Anyway here’s some photos that I took and if anyone wants a great holiday Townsville is like the old fashioned family destinations you used to go to as a kid. Not glitzy like Cairns or the Gold Coast but a week on Magnetic Island for instance will ‘hook you’ forever and we have over 300 days of sunshine per annum. (No I’m not on commission from the tourist board!) :1welcomeani:

Anyway, the pics;

post-7306-1212670562_thumb.jpg

post-7306-1212670580_thumb.jpg

post-7306-1212670617_thumb.jpg

post-7306-1212670638_thumb.jpg

post-7306-1212670661_thumb.jpg